Pod Your Reef

Obtaining a peacock/clown mantis shrimp

Brillig

I've just freed up a 10 g tank, and I'd really like to get a peacock/clown mantis to go in there. However, none of my LFSs get them in (according to a quick phone survey), and they're extremely expensive online when you take shipping into account.

People online seem to suggest offering to take them off other people's hands when they come in as hitchhikers, but I don't know any other aquarists in person. Nothing on Craigslist, either.

Any ideas?

I've just freed up a 10 g tank, and I'd really like to get a peacock/clown mantis to go in there. However, none of my LFSs get them in (according to a quick phone survey), and they're extremely expensive online when you take shipping into account.

People online seem to suggest offering to take them off other people's hands when they come in as hitchhikers, but I don't know any other aquarists in person. Nothing on Craigslist, either.

Any ideas?

Just keep an eye on the forums. You do see them from time to time in the identification forum and the F/S forum. Understand however that the peacock gets pretty big, and depending on your feeding habits a 10g will not hold him for long, not to mention your water quality will go down hill fast without large, often water changes.

Just keep an eye on the forums. You do see them from time to time in the identification forum and the F/S forum. Understand however that the peacock gets pretty big, and depending on your feeding habits a 10g will not hold him for long, not to mention your water quality will go down hill fast without large, often water changes.

How long is not long? Plus I'm always fine with water changes.

NirvanaandTool

You'd be better off getting another species than a Peacock for a 10g. There are other smashers you can try - G. Viridis, G. Smithii, or N. Wennerae to name a few.

captainbastard

It's recommended to have at least a 26 gallon tank but most will say at least a 40g. Live Aquaria has had some recently so you can keep an eye on there. Check out my tank, it was built specifically for a peacock

captainbastard
Not a Peacock but a good looking Mantis close to the Peacock

Sealifeinc

Those aren't as hardy as other stomatopods and require fairly clean water, although that shouldn't be much of a problem if you really don't mind water changes

Archived