Innovative Marine Aquariums

SteveG's ADA 45F 4.6g Bookshelf

partyinyourhonor

partyinyourhonor
I love the tailspot but I havent had luck in my tank. Had two and lost them in a few months.

I think that might be too small for him. Now that's just my two cents though.

How did you loose them?

Looks great!! I contemplated getting a tail spot blenny too but I've never seen one in any of my LFS so. Just curious...how high do you have your MP10 turned up and do you get some sandstorms?

Thanks Schreiba...

I think I am going to with the tail spot...I might put one on hold tomorrow. they have two or three at the LFS near me.. let me know if you have any luck finding one...

I have the MP10es set reef-crest at 3 (out of 12), at 6 it starts kicking up the substrate...

MP10 is an overkill, I know... but I need something for flow and it really has the slightest profile with the most control... I had a nice wave going earlier...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Schreiba...

I think I am going to with the tail spot...I might put one on hold tomorrow. they have two or three at the LFS near me.. let me know if you have any luck finding one...

I have the MP10es set reef-crest at 3 (out of 12), at 6 it starts kicking up the substrate...

MP10 is an overkill, I know... but I need something for flow and it really has the slightest profile with the most control... I had a nice wave going earlier...

Hopefully you get one and make sure to take some pictures of it :)

But yeah I can imagine...I have mine a little over 50% and I get sandstorms too. I agree about the low profile though it's smaller than a k-nano but sooo much better flow. I really think the SPS love it too.

partyinyourhonor
The tank is coming along really nice!

Thanks... I am looking forward to seeing your cube set up... great build...

Hopefully you get one and make sure to take some pictures of it :)

I am stopping by the LFS tomorrow... Hopefully it is still there...

partyinyourhonor

I am thinking of switching out the 460 nm bulb and adding another daylight 10,000 k bulb... then adding blue LED's... either Reefbrite in blue: reef bright

or Ecoxotic Stunner: blue stunner LED

or ecoxotic ecopico led: ecopico

Do you think the slight extra par is worth the change? Will there be enough blue?

Other thoughts?

partyinyourhonor

Lost a little over a half gallon to evaporation over the weekend... in a 4.6g tank it seems like a lot... I would rather not put a glass top on the tank... but I might have too, especially over long weekends etc.

Lost a little over a half gallon to evaporation over the weekend... in a 4.6g tank it seems like a lot... I would rather not put a glass top on the tank... but I might have too, especially over long weekends etc.

Yeah I know how you feel. I literally can't leave my tank for more than 24 hours without having to worry about a huge salinity swing. That is the one flaw in these long shallow tanks...

but what to do about it... osmolator is not an option for this tank...

Yeahhhh thats a tough question. I just got my osmolator today and its working great so far. Its really making me wish I had a sump to hide it in though...

partyinyourhonor

So, I broke a cardinal rule of fish keeping today and bought out a fish of pity at a famously poor quality pet store. On my way to my office I stopped to buy a new brush for my dog and this local mixed pet store happened to have a very sorry and unfortunate saltwater section. They had 3 true percs in a < 5g tank... two where larger and had teamed up to beat on the third which was much, much smaller... . So, after watching for a few minutes... I bit...I should note that they where priced as ocellaris ($13). The little clown is in kind of rough shape... he has already eaten however. Here are some pictures... also, one of a snail that occasionally likes to ride the rim of the tank...

9827d7c3.jpg

2d3dedab.jpg

426bcfde.jpg

b1bef231.jpg

Death Wish Snail

lol i cant stand that my snails do this too... i pretty much have to throw one of my snails back in the tank every day because they try to commit suicide

Hope that poor little clown makes it out okay. It's a shame to go to stores and see the tanks in bad condition. Stores like that shouldn't be in business or need a serious turnaround.

Grats on the clown by the way! And that snail poses a problem trying to escape, haha.

My nasses seemed to do that until they found the sand bed. Now I only see them when I feed the tank :P The clown looks good too I hope he does okay!

partyinyourhonor
lol i cant stand that my snails do this too... i pretty much have to throw one of my snails back in the tank every day because they try to commit suicide

I have three Nassarius snails and only one seems to like the rim... and thankfully he stays on the water side.

Hope that poor little clown makes it out okay. It's a shame to go to stores and see the tanks in bad condition. Stores like that shouldn't be in business or need a serious turnaround.

Grats on the clown by the way! And that snail poses a problem trying to escape, haha.

I am happy to report that the clown is looking good... and taking food... any store that carries saltwater but doesn't have any expertise is guilty of animal abuse (IMO)... If someone was keeping too many mammals (let's say rabbits for example) in a too small of an enclosure... and some where dead... some where malnourished... animal control would step in... but carry all pet stores get away with it, especially with fish...

My nasses seemed to do that until they found the sand bed. Now I only see them when I feed the tank :P The clown looks good too I hope he does okay!

This is actually the first time I've kept nassarius snails, and they are curious little creatures... and I'd venture to say that they hold reef tank speed records. The little dudes can cruise when motivated.

I wil be getting some cerith's soon... maybe a limpet or two...

In other news, I stopped into a quality lfs to buy some Zoas... specifically Woodstock zoas... and an employee who I had never met before was helping me... A couple of weeks ago I bought the same zoas from the same store for my other tank. They charged me 20$ for four polyps... this new guy said that they where 30 per polyp... needless to say I balked... the arbitrariness of pricing drives me insane...

partyinyourhonor
hahahah ^ I don't know if you were intentionally being funny, but this picture rules

I specialize in artist rendition comedy.

Nice fish..... glad he is doing good!

I lost them to death. Suddenly started to breath heavy after being in the tank for a few months and eating like a pig. All levels were fine and the other fish in the tank were fine. It was a mystery and it happened twice. Bought the tailspots from two different stores too. Just weird.... but they are cool looking guys and love their character.

partyinyourhonor

all my talk and research and searching... and I end up getting a fish that is not that ideal for the tank or my plans... I am sure I at the very least have extended the life of this little clown... I doubt he would have made it another day... and I can imagine anyone purchasing in him... especially considering the other two looked a lot better.

I would have purchased a tail spot but the store had sold out of them...

Nice tank!

Were in Buffalo are you? I live out in Williamsville. There are a few descent lfs for getting nice fish. That pet place usually gets some really rare stuff in. Whats your favorite around here? If you ever any frags for sale let me know, there aren't that many local reefers around here.

partyinyourhonor
Nice tank!

Were in Buffalo are you? I live out in Williamsville. There are a few descent lfs for getting nice fish. That pet place usually gets some really rare stuff in. Whats your favorite around here? If you ever any frags for sale let me know, there aren't that many local reefers around here.

I live in Allentown... For LFS, I like Saltwater Paradise (in NT) and A Reef Creation (which is near the airport and has wild stuff). In the past, I occasionally went to That Pet Place but it is far out there and I have been hearing bad things recently....

For sure I would be willing to sell or trade frags.... I have a big red mushroom rock that is starting to get too big for my tank... also, blue mushrooms... I would consider fragging others too... check out my 35g sig...

There are probably more buffalo reefers on Nano-Reef, maybe we should start a buffalo reefers thread...

Do any lfs around here carry any maxi minis? I have been to the fish place in NT and Markheims on Sheridan. They both usually have pretty cheap frags. Once your sps grow out I would buy some frags, also nterested in some of your shrooms and zoas.

Were did get your sps?

I think there is a western new york thread on reef central but a lot of member are in Rochester or Syracuse.

I will check out Saltwater Paradise soon.

partyinyourhonor
Do any lfs around here carry any maxi minis? I have been to the fish place in NT and Markheims on Sheridan. They both usually have pretty cheap frags. Once your sps grow out I would buy some frags, also nterested in some of your shrooms and zoas.

Were did get your sps?

I think there is a western new york thread on reef central but a lot of member are in Rochester or Syracuse.

I will check out Saltwater Paradise soon.

A Reef Creation always has Maxi's...(ARC) I also have a friend who will be fragging very soon... but go to A Reef Creation asap, you will not be disappointed... They have every Zoa, acan, chalice, and most SPS you could want...

Saltwater Paradise is good too... have a lot of great stuff... but lack in the zoa/acan/maxi dept...

Yeah I have decided to make my pico maxi mini dominated with some sps. I will check it out next weekend. I can get 3 maxi minis for 90 shipped so unless they have cheaper store prices I am not going to drop $100 on one.

Archived