Pod Your Reef

What bulb to use?

xtlosx

Hey Guys,

Just wanting to understand what sort of lighting to supplement my tank here. I have a 36G bow front tank, and currently have.... my tank is 30" x 17" (to the sandbed)

1x Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights 26"

- 1x 65W 10000K

- 1x 65W Actnic

1x 15w fixture that came with the tank, it is 8000k, but looking to replace it with something else that will benefit the tank...... what K rating would that be?? Should I leave it as 8000k, or get an actnic, or 10k?

Another option I am exploring, is in the coming months, to just pick up another Coralife fixture, as it is REALLY making things look nice.. I have some ricordias 3\4 of the way down and they are flourising... Meanwhile, some Frogspawn, Galaxia are at the top, and looking really awesome so far.....

You say you want to suppliment your lighting with that T8 tube, but you don't say what you want to get from it? Color? Growth?

If you are looking to get another fixture, I'd avoid digging yourself deeper into PCs. Get an inexpensive T5 fixture, where you will be more able to tweak your color and intensity with more bulb selection.

You say you want to suppliment your lighting with that T8 tube, but you don't say what you want to get from it? Color? Growth?

If you are looking to get another fixture, I'd avoid digging yourself deeper into PCs. Get an inexpensive T5 fixture, where you will be more able to tweak your color and intensity with more bulb selection.

OK, so I am more looking for coral growth, the color so far in the tank is great.. My first thought would be to get another actnic for the non coralife fixture, or a 50\50...

The actinic will only add fluorescence, not growth. If you want to add more growth potential (I say potential, because it isn't guaranteed with so many other variables affecting growth), then you want to add another daylight bulb, like the 10K. It won't do a whole lot, as T8's aren't all that powerfull.

Archived