Coral Vue Hydros

For those who are breeding....(fish)

nanoty

The tap water at my house is pretty good water. I read the reports that I get and the parameters are decent for city water. I run a Water General RO/DI unit for my tanks and since the water comes out of the tap at around 85ppm TDS I am able to run the get away with running the same filters, membrane and DI resin for usually at least a year before I start showing anthing above 0ppm on my meter.

The question is, on a non-reef, breeding system only how important is the filtration of the tap water? Assuming the water is free of chlorine and chloromines and heavy metals does the rest have any effect on breeding, egg laying and development of the fish?

Would dechloronating tap water be sufficient when it comes to a breeding setup besides the possibility of some nuisance algae? I am thinking about purchasing another RODI unit to be dedicated to the breeding setup in anticipation of the amount of water I would need but I am just trying to decide if this warrants another unit to itself. I don't think I would actually ever use straight dechloronated tap water but I it more of a curiosity of mine.

Thanks

That's a good question - My well water TDS measures at around 48 - lower than bottled drinking water - but I still run my water through my RO/DI so not to take any risks. I was having a hard enough time last year, didn't want to add crappy water to my list.

Hopefully someone more experienced on this one chimes in.

i know a breeder who doesnt use a RO/DI all they use is Amquel or the other stuff for water changes. and he has some nice pairs and offspring. he never had a problem at all. could give that a try since your water is so low.

mine is usually like 180 - 250. this week it was 315. man i am buring thru alot of resin.

i know a breeder who doesnt use a RO/DI all they use is Amquel or the other stuff for water changes. and he has some nice pairs and offspring. he never had a problem at all. could give that a try since your water is so low.

mine is usually like 180 - 250. this week it was 315. man i am buring thru alot of resin.

Yeah, where we are planning on building is close to my parents and there is not city water. Their well water comes out around 800ppm. I am dreading the amt of resin im going to go through out there.

i know a few breeders that dont bother with rodi, the only issue ive seen is with very young fry. so far the only conditioner i would trust for fry is chloram-x. ive seen where other conditioners like amquel kill newly hatched fry. i personally use prime as its cheap, works well, and goes a very long way. im not dealing with newborns however just broadstock/ juviniles.

i prefer prime tapwater over my rodi. takes a minuite to fill a 5 gallon pail vs the few hours to fill it with my 75gpd rodi. i dont mind doing water changes every 4 days or even breaking down everything to move it a few feet. im way more willing to do water changes now than when i was using my rodi. took forever and by the time it was done i had other stuff to do. as you know with kids any free time is short.

it would be a nightmare having to wait for my rodi with the amount of food i feed i need to siphon every few days. rods food is especially messy.

i know a few breeders that dont bother with rodi, the only issue ive seen is with very young fry. so far the only conditioner i would trust for fry is chloram-x. ive seen where other conditioners like amquel kill newly hatched fry. i personally use prime as its cheap, works well, and goes a very long way. im not dealing with newborns however just broadstock/ juviniles.

i prefer prime tapwater over my rodi. takes a minuite to fill a 5 gallon pail vs the few hours to fill it with my 75gpd rodi. i dont mind doing water changes every 4 days or even breaking down everything to move it a few feet. im way more willing to do water changes now than when i was using my rodi. took forever and by the time it was done i had other stuff to do. as you know with kids any free time is short.

it would be a nightmare having to wait for my rodi with the amount of food i feed i need to siphon every few days. rods food is especially messy.

i hear ya. i keep some handy when my resin runs out and i forget to order some...reminds me. need to get on BRS and get a few bags of resin.

i actually bought a new RODI from BRS and had it upgraded to a 150gpd unit for only $175. i had an old coralife 50gpd unit and it sucked waited for water. i been blowing thru resin since mine is around 350 this winter. dont know why its so high in the winter and lower in the summer.

i can make 20g in about 2 to 3 hours. but when i am lazy i just do tap.

Archived