SaltCritters.com

Travertine tile

alexwbush

I know many folks have done it and I've read many of the threads on here and other reef sites... but how do you clean this stupid glue off without killing your hands? I've cleaned off this many... and my fingers are tired. This could take a week or so to get my tank even close to starting.

IMAG1112.jpg

LOL... i've done this before. i soaked them in a bucket of very hot water and it becomes soft and easy to roll off with you fingers, but it's still a pain in the ass.

there were also LOTS and LOTS of detritus trapped under everything.

I never understood the design value of having tile in a reef tank. Is there any reason why people do this? Aside from them thinking it looks nice.. which it doesn't. There's only one tank i've ever seen with this stuff that looked amazing...

HecticDialectics
I never understood the design value of having tile in a reef tank. Is there any reason why people do this? Aside from them thinking it looks nice.. which it doesn't. There's only one tank i've ever seen with this stuff that looked amazing...

Wow.. the Jersey is strong in this one.

I've never seen this before. So are you doing a SPS tank and using this to go BB?

was going to do a mixed tank and put the softies on the bottom... maybe they will spread to the tile

is this a bad bottom surface? I usually use sand, but saw this on a tank and loved it. If its going to give me more issues than anything, maybe I'll go back to sand and put a couple pieces in to frag to.

Yeah, go back to live sand for some good biological filtration and use those tiles for frags. I did the same thing that youre tryin to do. I saw a sick tank and wanted to do the same but i failed. LOL

if you think it looks cool, give it a try since you already have all the tiles. you can always switch over to sand slowly.

Yeah, go back to live sand for some good biological filtration and use those tiles for frags. I did the same thing that youre tryin to do. I saw a sick tank and wanted to do the same but i failed. LOL

if you think it looks cool, give it a try since you already have all the tiles. you can always switch over to sand slowly.

you saw a lot of waste you couldn't get rid of?

Just want to say i misunderstood your first post, OP. I thought you were trying to remove the tile, not put it in there. Didn't mean to come across as a jerk. I was just saying... i never understood the whole tile concept. Doesn't look all that natural. Just my opinion.

Just want to say i misunderstood your first post, OP. I thought you were trying to remove the tile, not put it in there. Didn't mean to come across as a jerk. I was just saying... i never understood the whole tile concept. Doesn't look all that natural. Just my opinion.

As I figure... it'd be good for growing out onto... but if the waste gets trapped down there, maybe not. I wonder if I put a layer of sand down and then some of this over if it'd be just as bad. Otherwise I might just go with sand and put down a small mat of tile and lay some zoa rocks over it.

the point of the tiles is a cheap alternative to frag plugs. zoas and easily attach itself to on of these tiles and when you are ready to frag or simply growing too big, just cut a square out and replace it with a new one and let the whole growing process start over again.

sure it doesnt look natural, and might look weird, but each to their own. just because something doesnt look good to you doesnt mean it doesnt look good to others.

the point of the tiles is a cheap alternative to frag plugs. zoas and easily attach itself to on of these tiles and when you are ready to frag or simply growing too big, just cut a square out and replace it with a new one and let the whole growing process start over again.

sure it doesnt look natural, and might look weird, but each to their own. just because something doesnt look good to you doesnt mean it doesnt look good to others.

that was my thought... but if people are having problems with waste...

with good water flow shouldnt have much waste accumulate. everytime you do a water change just take a hose and quickly go through all the cracks of the tiles to suck up most of the debris.

Archived