inTank Media Baskets

Open top vs.closed top?

Grossy

I have a 34 gallon Solan and I was thinking abot taking the glass cover off the top and going open. The reason I wa thinking about going open was that I was thinking that it would provide more lighting...or making the lighting more effective.

What are your thoughts and the are there other benefits or detriments of not having any covering?

I have no fish that I worry about jumping out.

qwiksilver711
I have a 34 gallon Solan and I was thinking abot taking the glass cover off the top and going open. The reason I wa thinking about going open was that I was thinking that it would provide more lighting...or making the lighting more effective.

What are your thoughts and the are there other benefits or detriments of not having any covering?

probably would get better light penetration, after all, it is hard to keep glass perfectly clean. you would see more evap though

I agree you will have more evaporation, the tank temp will drop alittle, but you will get more light.

Any fish can jump out but some are know as jumpers

I have to go topless in the summer to keep the tank cool but use a top in the winter to keep it warm

It is a 40 B and with out the top a 1/2 gallon or more per day evaporation right now with the top about a cup a day.

OClownsandNanos

It's true you'd have more evaporation, but an additional benefit would be better gas exchange also. I made a screen top for my 40BR (there are how-tos on this site) and I'm sure that's something you could do should you ever want to house known "jumpers." Most would advocate an open/screen top over a closed top from what I've read because the benefits (improved lighting and gas exchange, less heat) outweigh the drawbacks.

Then by all means take it off.

It's true you'd have more evaporation, but an additional benefit would be better gas exchange also. I made a screen top for my 40BR (there are how-tos on this site) and I'm sure that's something you could do should you ever want to house known "jumpers." Most would advocate an open/screen top over a closed top from what I've read because the benefits (improved lighting and gas exchange, less heat) outweigh the drawbacks.

Thanks

Archived