Top Shelf Aquatics

One rock to rule them all

RayWhisperer

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

It's OK jdl. I think the delivery was fine. However, it lost it's momentum when you had to explain it to an old fart like myself.

RayWhisperer

Well, nothing new to report.

Still not registering any nitrates. This is getting very frustrating.

If I were to do this all over again, I'd definitely find one cool ass uncured rock to use. Starting from clean dry rock is the worst choice I've made when it comes to setting up a system.

I won't be getting any more rubble or sand from anyone's systems. I'm pretty sure that did absolutely nothing but delay this cycle another 3 weeks.

Seriously considering scrapping everything and starting over. If I do, there will be no thread on it. I'm already sick of having this one. Stupid threads are stupid.

keep it goin. you already have the cool mt doom/sauromon lotr theme thing goin. its entertaining during the boring office period usually ranging from 8am-3pm (im completely checked out by 3 so the remaining 2 hours of limbo do not count). jmo

RayWhisperer

Sure. This, however, hasn't done much of anything for a cycle. Ammonia spiked low after a few weeks (not days as I would have expected.) Nitrite spiked low shortly after that. It was at that point I added all the cured crap from another well established tank. Nitrates never registered, even after several weeks without established crap in the tank.

Thus, I'm thinking all adding the established crap did is starve what little bacterial growth I had. Basically, After removing all of it, I'm starting over from scratch again. Only this time, I've got even less of a nutrient source than I did the first time around.

Dnut, wanna pee in a cup and send it to me? I'm getting desperate.

However, it lost it's momentum when you had to explain it to an old fart like myself.

dude, your not even 40 yet, what is this "old" stuff???....hahahaha :lol:

...although 39 is pretty old for a fart.... :rolleyes:

RayWhisperer
keep it goin. you already have the cool mt doom/sauromon lotr theme thing goin. its entertaining during the boring office period usually ranging from 8am-3pm (im completely checked out by 3 so the remaining 2 hours of limbo do not count). jmo
My thread is not to be used for wasting time at work. I'll be in contact with your boss promptly.

dude, your not even 40 yet, what is this "old" stuff???....hahahaha :lol:

...although 39 is pretty old for a fart.... :rolleyes:

So you've got me by 5 years. However, mentally, I'm closer to 60. You noobs have yet to learn. I am N-R's reident geezer. I'm that old guy that used to yell at all you "Damn kids" and shake his fist or cane at you. Remember me now?

GET OFF MY LAWN!

HecticDialectics
Sure. This, however, hasn't done much of anything for a cycle. Ammonia spiked low after a few weeks (not days as I would have expected.) Nitrite spiked low shortly after that. It was at that point I added all the cured crap from another well established tank. Nitrates never registered, even after several weeks without established crap in the tank.

Thus, I'm thinking all adding the established crap did is starve what little bacterial growth I had. Basically, After removing all of it, I'm starting over from scratch again. Only this time, I've got even less of a nutrient source than I did the first time around.

jus sayin..

Protip: let the water get super dirty when cycling dry rock with seed rock. Plenty of food = plenty of bacterial propagation.

Just leave the lights off and do a 100% water change when it's done.

-_-

However, mentally, I'm closer to 60. You noobs have yet to learn. I am N-R's reident geezer. I'm that old guy that used to yell at all you "Damn kids" and shake his fist or cane at you. Remember me now?

GET OFF MY LAWN!

that's good stuff!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have had 15 surgeries head to toe in the last 30 years,

three just last November and am looking at spinal fusion

surgery this year for three bad disc's in my lower back.

...so I know what you mean about feeling older than you age :tears:

That's why I love my reef!!!...gives me peace...and piece of mind. B)

You need to add something in there that will generate ammonia. Those bacteria don't just come out of nowhere. Once there is ammonia for the bacteria to metabolize, they will reproduce. Since it was a dry rock, there was nothing on it to die off to start the cycle.

You need to add something in there that will generate ammonia. Those bacteria don't just come out of nowhere. Once there is ammonia for the bacteria to metabolize, they will reproduce. Since it was a dry rock, there was nothing on it to die off to start the cycle.

You realize who you are talking too right?

RayWhisperer
jus sayin..

-_-

OK, HD. I promise, I still won't do a water change, or change out the floss. All that stuff that's been in there since day one still won't come out. :P

that's good stuff!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I have had 15 surgeries head to toe in the last 30 years,

three just last November and am looking at spinal fusion

surgery this year for three bad disc's in my lower back.

...so I know what you mean about feeling older than you age :tears:

That's why I love my reef!!!...gives me peace...and piece of mind. B)

I haven't gone through 15, yet. Maybe I should get off your lawn.....

Thanks, I've never set up a reef tank before. I'm glad someone finally helped me. :D

You realize who you are talking too right?
Meh, I have days where it's fun, others I'm just itching to instigate. Today is a fun day. He gets by without having to learn the hard way. ;)
HecticDialectics
OK, HD. I promise, I still won't do a water change, or change out the floss. All that stuff that's been in there since day one still won't come out. :P

:D

Get the nitrates and ammonia up with some fish food ... really spike it :lol:

HecticDialectics

Sure, I mean, I guess at your age it comes out slow enough you can make sure just a dribble gets in there.

RayWhisperer
It's not mine, I rent, so stay... :eek:
I always associated that emoticon with someone getting a finger shoved up their ass. So, were you at the proctologists office when you posted that?

wait so what is the issue with this tank now?
No issue. I peed in it. It's all good now.
RayWhisperer

I should have kept it going, but I don't wanna see any noobs pee in their tanks. No, I didn't pee in my tank. At the risk of sounding like a power hungry, ban crazy mod.... I will ban the next mofo I see posting that they peed in their tank to jump start a cycle.

Archived