Top Shelf Aquatics

Biocube 29 Sump

mlglunchbox

I am looking to add a sump to my 29g biocube. I have had my tank running for about 10 months now and just added a mandarin so I want to add a sump to help maintain the pod population. Problem is, I do not really know where to start. What all would I need to set this up, I dont want to drill the tank so how would i get the water into the sump from the tank. From the sump, I could just put my current pump(Rio 6hf) to move the water back into the tank. I would like to add a 5-10 gallon sump, whatever would fit under the tank in the cabinet. Thanks in advance!

Hmm..

What about drilling two holes, one in the back of chamber 1 up near the water level, and then again in chamber three for the return? You probably would still need a pump in chamber 3 to return the water into the display.

Hmm..

What about drilling two holes, one in the back of chamber 1 up near the water level, and then again in chamber three for the return? You probably would still need a pump in chamber 3 to return the water into the display.

Well the water level in chamber 3 is almost to the top so I would have to get the water level to lower substantially in that chamber to be able to drill a hole, not to mention the tank would be hard to get in behind. Drilling holes seems like a last case scenario, is there any other way without drilling holes??

CoralWhisperer

I added an overflow box to my BC29, had to notch the hood a bit but no problem.

I have a 25g tank under it and its all on a stand I retrod to fit everything.

No drilling, and the black back wall hides all the extra plumbing.

Ill get some pics for ya.

Other than notching the hood, its all the same as any other tank.

Lots of small OBs fit in the middle chamber, and my return just hangs over the back plastic wall into the main tank.

FTS

customstand004.jpg

access door

customstand001.jpg

overflow box in chamber 2

customstand002.jpg

showing drain and return lines/notch in the hood

customstand003.jpg

sump/fuge

customstand005.jpg

Do a site search for "pvc overflow" or "diy pvc overflow".

Somebody else wanting to make an overflow for a BC29.

That was my write up ^ :D

Let start by looking at how sumps work as far as drainage and water return to the tank.

Take a look at this site. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html focus on the animated GIF.

Major parts used in my build

Lifereef nano overflow

Eshopps RS-75 Sump

Mag 5 return pump

Yeah, when I saw this thread I thought of your thread straightaway. I read it when you first put it up and was impressed by the time and effort you put in. Shame it turned out too loud after all the good work.

Yeah, when I saw this thread I thought of your thread straightaway. I read it when you first put it up and was impressed by the time and effort you put in. Shame it turned out too loud after all the good work.

Yeah, I wasnt too happy about that.

It turned out for the best in the end as my current setup is much more cleaner.

Yeah, I wasnt too happy about that.

It turned out for the best in the end as my current setup is much more cleaner.

So whats your current setup? I am building a BC 29 w/all sorts of bells and whistles and was convinced that only I noticed that Eshopps RS-75 fits perfectly in the cabinet and you can get it for $119 shipped from Premium Aquatics! LOL :) ... My troubles/and in the end the correct solution/setup started when I realized that I will have to put a chiller in the loop because the place I want the tank to be gets warm and after running it in a "test mode" in the summer for few days w/tap water it hit 86 deg. I tried to get away w/out drilling but in the end there was no way around it... I couldn't get a pump powerful enough and small enough at the same time to fit in chamber 3 to push the water out of the tank down through the chiller and back up again into the tank.

So... I got some guts and a glass hole saw, bought some good beer and did some drilling. I have to say it was very satisfying and very quick - about 5 min per hole. I drilled 2 holes in the bottom of chamber 2 for 2 3/4" bulkheads. Can't get larger ones there because the bulkheads won't fit w/out cutting bracing plastic siliconed to the bottom of the tank in chamber 2, which is very difficult because of tight quarters.

I then cut off completely chamber 1 and chamber 3, leaving chamber 2 as the de-facto overflow. Had to cut some of the now scrap plastic walls from chamber 1 and 3 and extended the height of chamber 2 (now the overflow) w/sides from the pieces of chamber 1 that had the water slits. Worked out perfectly, looks like a real overflow! And since I have two Tunze 6055 powerheads the now cavities where ch 1 and 3 used to be are perfect niches for the pumps. And then I also cut large parts out of the top and back of the cabinet to allow for the plumbing.

Overflow I tried to go w/Durso at first through one of the bulkheads and the return through the other... but it was way too loud. Like a constantly flushing toilet :lol: After some more reading and research I tried the so called Herbie overflow and it works perfectly. Completely silent since it's full siphon based. But for Herbie to be safe you need two holes/pipes, so thats what both holes in my now overflow (chamber 2) are now for. Return is coming straight from behind through holes in the back of the hood. Can't see that from the front and sides of the tank.

Anywhoo, I'll probably post a complete description w/lots of pics once I am done w/everything. I'll try to post some teasers later on :)

spacey B)

Archived