SaltCritters.com

Good or Bad Algae? Experts, please!

CoopMD

qwiksilver711

looks like hair algae. Should be able to take it out with regular water changes and cuc once you cycle is done. Fast growing if you have high nitrates, can get way out of control if left unchecked... i know that from personal experience and am fighting it hard right now.

CoralWhisperer

looks like the beginning of a crop of hair algae to me, deal with it before it gets outta hand.

Lots of info already on here . . .

Main cause is too much nutrients, but being that you are only on day 15, not all that much you can do besides some light water changes.

But dont go overboard because you still need to complete a cycle.

Could try some sort of phosphate remover, but thats really all you want to remove at this point is the phosphate . . .

qwiksilver711
looks like the beginning of a crop of hair algae to me, deal with it before it gets outta hand.

Lots of info already on here . . .

Main cause is too much nutrients, but being that you are only on day 15, not all that much you can do besides some light water changes.

But dont go overboard because you still need to complete a cycle.

i forgot to say you can pluck it off with tweezers or forceps

OClownsandNanos
i forgot to say you can pluck it off with tweezers or forceps

+1 Tweezers are now my favorite tool for removing nuisance algae. Just have a lot more control. I use 10" SS tweezers.

or some people pull hte rock out of the tank and go over it real quick with a torch...

OK -- bot a Reef Test Kit (API).

Phosphates are 0 (now I have changed 8 / 28 gals over the last 3 days).

Should I see the Algae slow down .... or do they love Nitrates as well ??

--mike

qwiksilver711
OK -- bot a Reef Test Kit (API).

Phosphates are 0 (now I have changed 8 / 28 gals over the last 3 days).

Should I see the Algae slow down .... or do they love Nitrates as well ??

--mike

they love nitrates too, and light... get some tweezers and pick it off, trust me, you really want to do this now before it explodes

they love nitrates too, and light... get some tweezers and pick it off, trust me, you really want to do this now before it explodes

I gave that a shot and got some. But the stuff doesn't "tweeze" well.

Mostly squished and waS impossible to take off when I took the rock out of the tank.

Would a CUC attack it? And will the tank run out of food for it? Other opinions and experiences?

qwiksilver711
I gave that a shot and got some. But the stuff doesn't "tweeze" well.

Mostly squished and waS impossible to take off when I took the rock out of the tank.

Would a CUC attack it? And will the tank run out of food for it? Other opinions and experiences?

some cuc will attack it, i hear emerald crabs will... but i dont use crabs... maybe i should, but i dont like the idea of omnivores tha can eat fish

some cuc will attack it, i hear emerald crabs will... but i dont use crabs... maybe i should, but i dont like the idea of omnivores tha can eat fish

This is a new tank. Won't the GHA die from lack of food eventually?

Like i stated in your other post,

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3204654

just cut down on the lighting and if you continue 11 hours per day, you will have a nasty diatom bloom.

Dont be worried if coraline algae( the good stuff) dies off. It'll always come back in the future with good calcium levels. focus of killing on the GHA.

What are you using to mix your saltwater and what are you using to top off? Depending on your area, tap water can contain lots of phosphates so I would use RODI if you hadnt already.

Archived