never done this before after acclimation

Formula462

I have this nice zoa colony I got about a week ago. They were open and happy with loooong skirts and great color. Over the last few days they were not open quite as much and now today a dime sized chunk was completely closed and the rest were only half open. I noticed quite a few long skinny orange tentacles probing out of the rock all over the coral. They aren't vermitids, and im pretty sure it's not spaghetti worms as there is no mucus or sand tubes. There was also some quite large 1/2 inch orange pods of some kind inbetween and on the closed polyps. Well I did FW dip about 20 mins ago and literally 30 or more pods(some huge) and some of those orange tentacles came out of the rock. I have never dipped zoas after they have already been acclimated, but i've watched too many colonies melt away without trying anything so I guess I had to try something.

My questions are, what are the super thin orange tentacles?(im no noob, they aren't bristle worms or vermetids)

About how long does it take for zoas to reopen after such a salinity change? (1.025 to 0.0 lol) note that I did match temp.

And why the hell do giant pods and crazy worms only show up after you put them in your tank? I should have dipped them first I know, but these things never seem to thrive in lfs's. Is it because of the low salinity?

Here is a pic of them before and after the dip.

Day two: FxCam_1296001657622.jpg

Today before: FxCam_1295988550908.jpg

Today after dip: FxCam_1296325525211.jpg

Sorry for the novel but I like to be thorough. Thanks for any answers guys!

the sg would actually be 1 not 0

IME zoas are pretty good about handling fw dips, ive done it a few times

the orange worms could be spaghetti worms of some kind or something of that sort..generally guys like that are not a problem, i guess in general stuff that is attached to rocks are not usually a problem.

Well sue me on the SG figures lol. The worms, whatever they are, were really covering the hell out of them. The pods are what I assume were causing the aggravation due to their extreme size. Hopefully this isn't one of those colonies that look fantastic for a week and then just rapidly melt. They seem to be one of the only corals that do that.

Well sue me on the SG figures lol. The worms, whatever they are, were really covering the hell out of them. The pods are what I assume were causing the aggravation due to their extreme size. Hopefully this isn't one of those colonies that look fantastic for a week and then just rapidly melt. They seem to be one of the only corals that do that.

Could it also be that at the lfs they are on racks but when they hit the sand in a higher salinity the critters become more active and piss of the zoas?

the pods were likeley always there, at the farm or ocean, and at the lfs, you just see a ton of them when you fw dip because they come running out.

Of course they were always there. My question is, does them being on a frag rack in the middle of the tank, surrounded by predacious fish and low salinity cause them to be less active and ultimately less of an annoyance to the zoas? Why is it that after a few days in a"home tank" they seem to become super active? At the store they were at there was about 3 mandarins (that I could see) in the frag tank and lots of tangs and wrasses. Basically they were in a tank with some gang busters that are known for pod munching. My tank has 0 fish atm and I was wondering if pods are aware of that after a few days? Sounds crazy I know. And I am not talking about the little clear tigger striped pods. I am talking about these big orange bastards. Two of them were a half inch long easy.

OClownsandNanos
Of course they were always there. My question is, does them being on a frag rack in the middle of the tank, surrounded by predacious fish and low salinity cause them to be less active and ultimately less of an annoyance to the zoas? Why is it that after a few days in a"home tank" they seem to become super active? At the store they were at there was about 3 mandarins (that I could see) in the frag tank and lots of tangs and wrasses. Basically they were in a tank with some gang busters that are known for pod munching. My tank has 0 fish atm and I was wondering if pods are aware of that after a few days? Sounds crazy I know. And I am not talking about the little clear tigger striped pods. I am talking about these big orange bastards. Two of them were a half inch long easy.

Sounds like there may have been a couple in the zoas and they were given time to multiply in your tank without predators. I would guess that would account for the difference.

... just a thought, you are asking for help. You may want to keep your sarcasm down...

You might want to calibrate your sarcasm detector ...

Sounds like there may have been a couple in the zoas and they were given time to multiply in your tank without predators. I would guess that would account for the difference.

That's what I was thinking. Who knows though, zoas are supposed to be easy but they never are lol. Seems like almost anything can piss em off.

they say zoas are easy but they are moody and melt easy too

especially the ones you pay alot for

but yours dont look to bad jest give them time

FxCam_1296586258926.jpg

Thanks. They seem to be doing alot better now. I have just left them alone and blew some detritus off of them a few times. And the orange tentacle thing is definitely a spaghetti worm .

Archived