Top Shelf Aquatics

A Complete Idiot's Guide to Building an LED Array

andru24

Would this lighting system work for growing corals?

It should work perfectly. For some corals, the light might be too intense depending on your tank size the and kit ordered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same Meanwell driver on my LED setup I just installed, and I could not get my SRV2 screw to adjust at all. The multimeter was setup properly inline with the LEDs, on 10As and it was reading 1.93. as I turned the screw the number did not change. Is something wrong here?

Edited by Danger Dave
I have the same Meanwell driver on my LED setup I just installed, and I could not get my SRV2 screw to adjust at all. The multimeter was setup properly inline with the LEDs, on 10As and it was reading 1.93. as I turned the screw the number did not change. Is something wrong here?

Update? From my experience with meanwells, the potentiometer is extremely fragile. If your turning the screw and getting no result you prob have to return the driver.

• 3 weeks later...

very unnatural looking spot light of different color's in different spots. does not blend well like t5 h.o

a lot of people are now complaining about changing fans, driver's

leds are now losing their spectrum and strength after 2 year's, causing the death of coral's.

I'll give it 5 year's and wait for advancement's and others failures before I give it a try.

reminds me of the ATS threads, at the moment.

keep up the cute little project, you never know.

Edited by MaxiMiniNem
3711141[/url]']

very unnatural looking spot light of different color's in different spots. does not blend well like t5 h.o

leds are now losing their spectrum and strength after 2 year's, causing the death of coral's.

I'll give it 5 year's and wait for advancement's and others failures before I give it a try.

Cute little project huh? You are a pleasant fella ain't ya?

3711174[/url]']

Wont the drivers get hot in the project box sense there is no vents??

Was concerned with that but it doesn't get hot at all.

3711141[/url]']

FYI, don't have any color blending issue looks better and with greater control than t5 or mh. Think you may see that more when using more than 2 colors. Can't speak to the color spectrum changing but have had good coral growth (sps and lps) so far.

How rude.

Pay no attention to this guy ^^^ I've built my own LED array and have had absolutely no problems with. Only talk when you know what you're talking about. Especially don't talk when you have had no experience with DIY LED's.

What a DB. GTFO

How rude.

Pay no attention to this guy ^^^ I've built my own LED array and have had absolutely no problems with. Only talk when you know what you're talking about. Especially don't talk when you have had no experience with DIY LED's.

I stand by what I have said.

• 1 month later...

You're supposed to strip naked, cover yourself in Mayonnaise, and run around the block with the flux capacitor glued to your left buttock. Do that three times and it will fix the 'spectrum loss' issue.

• 2 months later...
OneTrickPony
You're supposed to strip naked, cover yourself in Mayonnaise, and run around the block with the flux capacitor glued to your left buttock. Do that three times and it will fix the 'spectrum loss' issue.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

• 1 month later...
Wont the drivers get hot in the project box sense there is no vents??

I have mine in a closed stand in a project box with no issues. The key to LED's is not to drive everything at MAX this goes for the drivers as well as the LEDs themselves. It's is far better to have more LED's run at lower amps. To me this is just as important as having the proper size heatsink.

QUOTE (MaxiMiniNem @ Jan 30 2012, 03:01 PM)

As far as the person above saying that LED's are losing their spectrum and strength in 2 years and causing the death of corals, that comment in itself shows complete ignorance. What and where are the PAR/PUR values that support this? My current setup (On an Edge II 12g) has 4 3up stars with 2:1 RB/NW, 4 True Violet, 2 Turquoise, 1 Deep Red and an additional 3 Royal Blue for accent/moon lighting. All ramped up/down via DIM4 with trim pots installed for acclimation or temporary viewing pleasure. What part of my "spectrum" am I supposed to lose? Oh yeah the other thing, they sit about 1" above the water line and I had to turn my fan OFF yesterday because the HEATER kept turning on at 76.6 degrees AND I live in southeast Louisiana. Furthermore if they are truly concerned about spectrum loss occuring "so rapidly" how often do they replace MH/T5 bulbs? Humm every 9 months is what is recommended, with most T5 bulbs having a measureable change in spectral output in ~3 months. So if the LEDs lose their spectrum after 2 years and cause the death of corals then T5's must do this even faster according to this logic. Oh wait in 10 YEARS after running LEDs EVERY day for 12 hours they still put out 75% of their original output. I usually don't get involved in these conversations but in this day and time of people spouting off anything they want, based on "feelings" or "I heard this" instead of being based on facts frankly irritates the hell out of me. If someone posts a question here and is trying to learn, the last thing needed is someone badmouthing something without backing it up with facts. Of course it would be difficult for me to seriously consider advice from someone who makes their point without using any punctuation, or even forming complete sentences for that matter. I won't pretend I know everything about LEDs but I have researched and asked people who know these things, especially Milad from LEDGroupBuy.com, and now I am fairly proficient and have built and helped to build several DIY LED arrays. If I can help anyone just ask, if you think someone will respond like the person above did, then shoot me a PM. Or like I said, ask Milad and/or go to the LedGroupBuy website and look at the FAQ and More Info tabs at the top. I don't mean for this to sound like a rant, but felt the point needed to be made.

• 3 weeks later...
TheCoralReef731

When people mention CREE LED's, which model do they usually mean? For instance, I noticed on rapidled.com there is the "CREE XM-L Cool White U2 LED" for $8 or the "CREE XP-G R5 5W Cool White LED" for $4.50. Seems like a big price difference. Is there a quality difference as well?

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I love about making your own LED fixture. I built this fixture for a 75 gal tank. This was a brand new set up. I started this tank about 6 months ago. All the live rock was base rock, all white, and in a very short time it looks like this. Kinda a crappy picture but you can see the colors.

post-75931-1344712418_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
bassmaster405

I need help with where to put my lights just don't know what order I am doing a 55 g long and this is what I am Geting as far as LEDs 24/RB xt/ e. 7cw/xp-g. 7ww xp-g. 10violets and 4 blues can some one plez help wit a lay out and one big heatsink or 2 smaller ones thanks