Pod Your Reef

Mushroom? Nem? ?

chumcrazy

My uncle found this diving a few months back and figured it was some kind of corallimorpharian.(Mushroom) But after adding it to his tank it started to move around and then we figured it was some kind of anemone. It only walked around for the first week or so and then found its happy spot. Last night I was at his house and he was feeding his coral and the mushroom thing did this. Anyone have an idea of what this thing is.

post-49506-1296313724_thumb.jpg

Carlton'sTank
My uncle found this diving a few months back and figured it was some kind of corallimorpharian.(Mushroom) But after adding it to his tank it started to move around and then we figured it was some kind of anemone. It only walked around for the first week or so and then found its happy spot. Last night I was at his house and he was feeding his coral and the mushroom thing did this. Anyone have an idea of what this thing is.

post-49506-1296313724_thumb.jpg

Just by looking at the mouth and feeders, it looks more like some kind of LPS. The center section reminds me a lot of a brain, but I could be wrong.

The mouth looks exactly like that, but like I said it moved around for about a week after putting it in the tank I am sure its not a kind of stoney. It looks like a mushroom the way it is attached to the rock. It attaches using a foot. I will get a pic of how it normally looks next time im over there.

The mouth looks exactly like that, but like I said it moved around for about a week after putting it in the tank I am sure its not a kind of stoney. It looks like a mushroom the way it is attached to the rock. It attaches using a foot. I will get a pic of how it normally looks next time im over there.

If it moves around I would say some kind of nem, what ever it is I have never seen one, but it is cool.

Might add, my experiance with mushrooms is they detach float around until they land somewhere.

They have something similar in a tank at the LFS... It has some kind of strange name... a walking... something.

Try this: Heteropsammia cochlea

They call it a "walking dendro". Some strange coral that lives on top of a worm.

The walking dendro is neat but not even close. No hard skeleton. I have had the same experince with the shrooms droping and floating around untill they attached, this thing walked around like an anemone. It could very well be a flower anemone but my uncle has four of them in his tank all collected and once again this thing looks nothing like it. I was hoping one of the collectors down in the keys would chime in, maybe they have seen somthing like this before.

The walking dendro is neat but not even close. No hard skeleton. I have had the same experince with the shrooms droping and floating around untill they attached, this thing walked around like an anemone. It could very well be a flower anemone but my uncle has four of them in his tank all collected and once again this thing looks nothing like it. I was hoping one of the collectors down in the keys would chime in, maybe they have seen somthing like this before.

Contact the guy that runs this site/business, he is pretty helpful and collects in Florida. Sorry can't remember his name.

Sealifeinc

Carlton'sTank

Proves that I should have read the whole post before I responded. I didn't see that it moves. Either way, I am not officially fascinated so I hope someone figures it out.

Contact the guy that runs this site/business, he is pretty helpful and collects in Florida. Sorry can't remember his name.

Sealifeinc

I will send him an email when I get a pic of how it normally looks so it can really boggle his mind.

Its not a flower nem. I think I have the same thing in a tank I maintain. I've been mystified as well, looks like a mushroom but acts like a nem. Guess I should look in Julian's invertebrate book.

Archived