ReefCleaners.org

Illegal?

Lawnman

So I heard it is illegal to own a Pirahna in California?What other fish or reef realted items are illegal in other states?You can have a garage full of Pirahnas in Indiana.

You can get pirahna at most any lfs around here. There even used to be a lfs that would sell black pacu that were the size of a small dog.

I sure there are some laws but im not aware of any here in ohio

I seen a show last night where they did a search warrant on a house in Cali where a 15 year old kid was selling Pirahnas.I know it can be serious if they release them into there waterways.But it was just kinda crazy because in the midwest they are in every LFS.

Have you seen the show on the snakeheads. Iremember about 25 yrs ago my friends brother had a 55g with 3 or 4 redline snakeheads in it. We used to catch frogs and toads and put them in the tank and they would destroy them.

You used to be able to buy small ones for $3 at the lfs

In Michigan there's probably a bunch of illegal livestock (freshwater only). I know that everyone's always freaking out about invasive species in the great lakes (probably for good reason). Right now it's the Asian carp.

here in s florida the exotics have gotten so out of control they are destroying the native species habitats. i used to catch 5lb bass on the reg in my backyard, now there is nothing but snakeheads, cichlids, and plecos. there are a lot of laws here, but no one pays attention to them.

they are in every fish store in the midwest because if you release them in the wild they will not survive the winter. i used to manage a fish store here in Charlotte, NC and I could not order items such as piranha and african clawed frogs, but when i lived in Pittsburgh, PA those two items were some of the best sellers in FW fish.

i think in montana it must be illegal to carry decent coral in the lfs

I lold.

Here in Ky it is illegal to sell them but a few people have told me it isn't illegal to own them.... IDK.

Those same people drive to Ohio/Indiana to buy theirs. Each to their own.

I seen a show last night where they did a search warrant on a house in Cali where a 15 year old kid was selling Pirahnas.I know it can be serious if they release them into there waterways.But it was just kinda crazy because in the midwest they are in every LFS.

Wild Justice...we TiVo that show. Pretty good show.

Archived