Cultivated Reef

Clam placement & safety!

Grossy

I had a beatuiful clam a few months ago, but the day after I bought it and returned home from work it had been eaten. I believe my damn butterscotch snails ate the it....expensive brunch!!!! I talked my wife into letting get another one, which I currently have about a third of the way up my tank on a rock.

If I get the butterscotch snails out do you think the nassarius snail will get the clam or will it be alright?

Also, will hermit crabs or anything else try to eat it??????

qwiksilver711
I had a beatuiful clam a few months ago, but the day after I bought it and returned home from work it had been eaten. I believe my damn butterscotch snails ate the it....expensive brunch!!!! I talked my wife into letting get another one, which I currently have about a third of the way up my tank on a rock.

If I get the butterscotch snails out do you think the nassarius snail will get the clam or will it be alright?

i dont know about hermits, but i think the nass wont hurt it

Lots of things like to pick at clams. Also if it was dying then just about everything in your cleanup crew will go after it. How did you acclimate your last clam?

i've never heard of butterscotch snails, but I guess I won't be getting them. I have a ton of other snails and crabs in my tank, nothing touches my clam..

Lots of things like to pick at clams. Also if it was dying then just about everything in your cleanup crew will go after it. How did you acclimate your last clam?

This one I let it stay in the bag with the lights out in my tank for about 35 minutes....I tried to add a few ounces of my tank water into the bag every few minutes; however, after a few minutes I turned around and the bag sank to the bottom of my tank.

qwiksilver711
This one I let it stay in the bag with the lights out in my tank for about 35 minutes....I tried to add a few ounces of my tank water into the bag every few minutes; however, after a few minutes I turned around and the bag sank to the bottom of my tank.

did you burp the clam? i've heard u got to burp them

I would guess the bad acclimation killed it and then your clean up crew did its job. Clams should be drip acclimated very slowly over a few hours.

I would guess the bad acclimation killed it and then your clean up crew did its job. Clams should be drip acclimated very slowly over a few hours.

@#$**!.....do you think it has a chance or do I take it to the LFS tomorrow and say I changed my mind and get something else???

@#$**!.....do you think it has a chance or do I take it to the LFS tomorrow and say I changed my mind and get something else???

I did not drip acclimate my crocea clam when I introduced it 4 or 5 months ago and it is still doing well. The only bad signs from my clam were because of insufficient lighting, that is until I upgraded to MH. Drip acclimation is the safest and best way to acclimate a clam, but as long as you put tank water into the bag a bit at a time, Id say you will probably be fine.

Archived