What does ORA mean?

JealousFist

I'm always seeing ORA goby or ORA mandarin etc...tried a site search and google, but all the stuff I found didn't seem to have anything to do with fish

Also what is a overflow box? thanx! I always have super dumb questions but u'll never learn w/o asking no?

O damn, didn't even see u'd re:'d already damn ur quick! btw, I've read a few of ur threads and i'm a big fan! thanx for the help!

An overflow box is a box surrounding the drain, or intake, depending on what type of filter system you employ. It draws the water from the surface. It serves two main purposes. One, it "skims" the surface of the water. Allowing better light penetration, and gas exchange. Two, it keeps the water level in the display at a constant level.

There are other purposes, as I said, depending on the filter system you employ. However, I think that'll give you the general idea.

Also, just incase you are still unsure. It's the box with the teeth cut into it. You'll see that in many photos posted throughout the site.

An overflow box is a box surrounding the drain, or intake, depending on what type of filter system you employ. It draws the water from the surface. It serves two main purposes. One, it "skims" the surface of the water. Allowing better light penetration, and gas exchange. Two, it keeps the water level in the display at a constant level.

There are other purposes, as I said, depending on the filter system you employ. However, I think that'll give you the general idea.

Also, just incase you are still unsure. It's the box with the teeth cut into it. You'll see that in many photos posted throughout the site.

AH! Thank u! I think I pretty much get it lol, even though i've been reading on this site now for well over a month i'm still learning lots, can't wait to start getting my feet wet sometime in the future!

BTW I was looking at ORA and i noticed they don't have prices listed? I'm assuming that means they're hella expensive? lol

BTW I was looking at ORA and i noticed they don't have prices listed? I'm assuming that means they're hella expensive? lol

ORA is a wholesale operation. You can find their stuff from many different retailers.

You can be a conscientious hobbyist without spending a ton of money. Just get your coral frags from other reefers rather than wild gathered, and get tank bred fish.

You can be a conscientious hobbyist without spending a ton of money. Just get your coral frags from other reefers rather than wild gathered, and get tank bred fish.

O for sure! I've already been looking up reef clubs around here, luckily i live next to Sacramento so they'res a pretty healthy community around here with frequent frag swaps and such.

AH! Thank u! I think I pretty much get it lol, even though i've been reading on this site now for well over a month i'm still learning lots, can't wait to start getting my feet wet sometime in the future!

Well, incase no one has said it yet, :welcome: to N-R.com. The best advice I can give you is, take it slow. You are going to want to do and buy a lot of things. Take your time and reaserch as much as you can before committing to anything.

Also, what he said.

|

V

ORA is a wholesale operation. You can find their stuff from many different retailers.

ORA = Ocean Reefs and Aquariums

Overflow is everything listed above plus it cuts off water at only a inch or inch and a half from the surface when you loose power to the return pump only letting a few percent of water into your sump.

A cheaper way to get anything ORA is to gp to your local petco, if they sell saltwater and ask to see their ORA order list for ORA. You can get anything they have avaliable at a much cheaper price than your LFS or online.

They order it for you, it comes in, Make sure you tell them to leave it in the bag and you pay for it.

Best part is you dont need to pay shipping and you can walk away if it looks like ass.

ORA = Ocean Reefs and Aquariums

Overflow is everything listed above plus it cuts off water at only a inch or inch and a half from the surface when you loose power to the return pump only letting a few percent of water into your sump.

A cheaper way to get anything ORA is to gp to your local petco, if they sell saltwater and ask to see their ORA order list for ORA. You can get anything they have avaliable at a much cheaper price than your LFS or online.

They order it for you, it comes in, Make sure you tell them to leave it in the bag and you pay for it.

Best part is you dont need to pay shipping and you can walk away if it looks like ass.

O damn! That's smart, i'd never have thought of that foreal.

Well, incase no one has said it yet, :welcome: to N-R.com. The best advice I can give you is, take it slow. You are going to want to do and buy a lot of things. Take your time and reaserch as much as you can before committing to anything.

Also, what he said.

|

V

Thanx for the welcome and the advice! Yea I feel u on the take my time thing, I don't plan on even buying a tank for at least another 4-5 months, i'm just reading as many threads and articles on this site and others as I can, like foreal this hobby is like SCIENCE lol, i've kept freshwater tanks that were very stable and succesful before (though I know how easy that is lol) and have wanted to get into salt and reefing for awhile, but I don't wanna spend that kind of money unless i'm as prepared as Ican be lol. Thanx again for all the advice dudes! Expect many stupid questions from me in the future! lol ;)

Archived