SaltCritters.com

Anyone ever grow a reef?

Grape Nuts

Anyone ever grow a reef? From the sand up? Grow your own live rock. Or would it take 1,000 years? I mean start out with frags in sand or glued to bottom and just feed and wait. And feed and wait. I don't know what the purpose would be other that to cure extreme boredom and curiosity. But isn't that what life is all about?

What is your malfunction. Grow rocks, what the hell are you talking about?

ROFL... that is too funny..... :lol:

I guess if you grew out some large stonies and then killed them and kept starting over you could end up with a nice bed of skeletons to work with. I would not consider that a success, though.

Anyone ever grow a reef? From the sand up? Grow your own live rock. Or would it take 1,000 years? I mean start out with frags in sand or glued to bottom and just feed and wait. And feed and wait. I don't know what the purpose would be other that to cure extreme boredom and curiosity. But isn't that what life is all about?

...dude, put the bong down and back away v e r y s l o w l y....... ;)

You guys are amateurs!

I'm just talking about growing a NANO reef. Pffft...

that was my favorite part.

Hey Dhaut, I thought you might like to know that I am Gene Wilder's illegitimate son. Or maybe we are just from the same clan... My wife thinks GW is handsome. I always thought he was sort of a troll, but that hasn't stopped me from memorizing Willy Wonka from start to end. I mean if I had short curlies on my head, no goat, and my eye's were less Stallone like I would be the spittin' image.

PS. I was PO'ed that Johnny Depp wasn't Charlie as GW's replacement... Lame sucka!

• 1 year later...
What is your malfunction. Grow rocks, what the hell are you talking about?

:lol: oh god... This one had me rolling. Thank you, I needed that .

Better yet - try growing a reef from an empty tank.... Kind of like a mini-evolution... let us know how it works out.

Come on guys, lets be reasonable. He's going to at LEAST need a pebble for all the other bits of rock to grow from!

But seriously, It just won't happen in any aquarium smaller than the Georgia Aquarium, and even then you'll only be able to make a small reef patch every couple hundered of years. These things take time, and lots of dead coral, which I'm sure no hobbiest wants.

I've certainly had SPS frags grow to a decent size and then die. Other corals started growing on the dead skeleton. This is basically how a reef is formed. It's not an entirely ridiculous question.

Archived