Pod Your Reef

///Retired///noirsphynx's Fluval Spec

noirsphynx

My newest and smallest tank. It's a 2g Fluval Spec. This is my first attempt at something so small so I wanted to start a journal to keep track of it's progress.

Jan. 10/11 - Newly setup

DSC_0025.jpg

Jan. 28/11 - Re-worked the rock scape.

DSC_0098.jpg

I have a Trimma & Eviota goby waiting to go in this tank.

Mr. Microscope

Cool rock scape! What other stocking plans do you have aside from the gobies? What kind of equipment are you using other than then tank? Do you plan to upgrade your lighting?

Cool rock scape! What other stocking plans do you have aside from the gobies? What kind of equipment are you using other than then tank? Do you plan to upgrade your lighting?

Thanks. I was thinking a trio of sexy shrimp but I think for this size that would be over doing it with the two trimma's. But maybe an anemone shrimp of some kind. So far everything is stock but I do want to do something about the light, I'm just unsure what to do yet. I'm not very handy at DIY so I'll see what I can find.

Ill be following this one

I have a thing for tall tanks

check out my mine

rock scapes looks good

what are tank dimensions?

I will definitely check out your thread today.

It's a 2g. 7.25" x 10" x 9.25"

Mr. Microscope
Thanks. I was thinking a trio of sexy shrimp but I think for this size that would be over doing it with the two trimma's. But maybe an anemone shrimp of some kind. So far everything is stock but I do want to do something about the light, I'm just unsure what to do yet. I'm not very handy at DIY so I'll see what I can find.

I've heard sexy's can really add to the bioload of a pico.

For supplies, what about the heater? Does the fluval come with one?

I've heard sexy's can really add to the bioload of a pico.

For supplies, what about the heater? Does the fluval come with one?

I agree, I think it's too much.

No heater as of yet. I'm going to check some out today. The back chamber is a sponge with a bag of bio max and a bag of carbon in it. I'm going to remove the sponge and carbon and just place the bio max and chemi pure elite in the back with floss on top. the pump is a tiny stock pump that's rated 39.6 gph. I was maybe going to upgrade that to the hydor 200 if it will fit.

Bought a Marineland 10w heater today. I also made a wonderful find, a little Pederson Shrimp

P1280011.jpg

Here are the two gobies waiting to move in to the tank.

P1280019.jpg

P1280030.jpg

Some macro algae's in the tank already.

DSC_0004_2.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

Mini Brittle Starfish

DSC_0008.jpg

Right side(shows a mini rock anemone)

DSC_0005.jpg

Left side

DSC_0004.jpg

one of the gobies is not Trimma..though based on online sources they both grow to the same small size.

Yeah, it's an Eviota Ngriventris. I meant to fix the first post.

I saw this tank at the LFS the other day and I REALLY wanted it and I looked around all over the internet and nobody has done a salt setup in one until I found this thread.

But anyways it looks awesome keep the updates coming.

That blue shrimp is freakin' amazing! I've never seen anything like it. How much $ and how big is it?

I know, I love it. I've had a few other species of the "anemone" shrimp but never this one. It was $30 and it's about an inch long but that's from tail to it's extended arms, which are always out in front of it.

I saw this tank at the LFS the other day and I REALLY wanted it and I looked around all over the internet and nobody has done a salt setup in one until I found this thread.

But anyways it looks awesome keep the updates coming.

Same here, I searched and nothing. I thought it was pretty weird that no one on here had done one, there was the beginnings of one but no further than that. I will continue with updates. I'm on the hunt for some lights but still unsure what to go with. I love evil's pico lamp but it's quite pricey.

Have you done anything about the lighting yet?

Nope, still looking. I love evil's pico lamp but I just can't justify spending that much money on a light for this tank.

think of it this way: the light will last an extremely long time, meaning it will be good for any setup after this pico gets taken down.

I've been trying to update this thread but was having trouble staying logged in to do anything on Safari and just figured out it works okay on Firefox. SUPER frustrating!

Anyway..... A few days ago I added the Pederson shrimp and Eviota Goby to the tank but for some reason I lost the Trimma in QT. It's sad because it was healthy and eating, it looked really good. I also have not seen the Eviota since it went in the tank, I hope it's still alive. Added a White Spot anemone shrimp which has taken up residence on the rock anemone. It's funny because they're both about the same size :lol:

I added the heater but with the cover on it was staying at 81.5, with the cover off it's staying at 79.5.

The stock light sucks soooo bad but I'm still unsure what I'm doing for the lighting. It's a serious headache trying to find something I like that doesn't cost a fortune. I might be able to get a couple of the Skimz Ibox LED lights or I can get a good deal on a Ecoxotic Power Module. I'd like to track down one of Evil's Par20 pico lamps if possible or something equivalent.

Here's a few pics:

Camouflaged Pederson shrimp :P

P2040031.jpg

Micro sized Torch

P2040011.jpg

White Spot Anemone shrimp

P2040034.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Those shrimp are really neat!

Yes, unfortunately lighting is one of the most expensive aspects of this hobby. My advice, don't skimp out. Take the plunge and make an investment in something good that can translate over to another tank in the future. If you go cheap, you'll end up wanting to upgrade in the near future anyways. If you have any skill, try building your own LEDs. Then, if you want to move on, you can reuse them in a larger setup. Or get something from Nanotuners/Nanocustoms.

• 1 month later...

I had a cf fixture with a 50/50 bulb in it that I wasn't using so it's my lighting of choice for now. It's working quite nicely and gives a much nicer look than the spec's led one. I also bought one of the TLF nano mag's and it works great!

FTS as of Feb. 25

DSC_0063.jpg

The micro sized torch died but I added a small hammer frag that's doing well. Also shown is a yellow & black feather duster and a very small astrea snail.

DSC_0036.jpg

I have two of these micro sized cerith snail's

P2250023.jpg

dwarf blue leg hermit

P2250001.jpg

Blue Shuriken zoas

P2250018.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

P3020071.jpg

P3020069.jpg