Innovative Marine Aquariums

Setting up refugium in Soalna today...tips?

Grossy

I just received my JBJ Nana-Glo light, so this afternoon I am going to the LFS to get some Chaeto. There was a post by a guy that works for Marine Depot that set up a refugium in the second chamber of a 34 gallon Solana. He said that he just used some Live Rubble on the bottom and then on top of that he filled the chamber half full of Chaeto....and set the refugium light to come on at the end of the light cycle of the main light.

I am going to keep a small bag of Chemi pure Elite and Phosgard on the very bottom of the second chamber for filter benefit as well as to reduce the likelihood of any loose Chaeto making it into my main tank. Do you all have any other tips or thoughts.....I thought about trying to find a plastic container to fit in the second chamber and put Live sand in the container as well.......what do you all think about the whole thing??

burtbollinger

skip the rubble...skip your live sand idea....Chaeto only. It gets to be a mess down there otherwise....you'll be kicking yourself a year or so from now, spending a messy weekend cleaning that BS outta there. (its happened to me on two separate tanks)

damn StevieT, beat me to it :)

skip the rubble...skip your live sand idea....Chaeto only. It gets to be a mess down there otherwise....you'll be kicking yourself a year or so from now, spending a messy weekend cleaning that BS outta there. (its happened to me on two separate tanks)

damn StevieT, beat me to it :)

Thanks...should I use the chemi-pure elit on the bottom??

There will be a media basket out for this tank very soon to help organize this better. Chemi pure is a good idea but best if it gets flow through it not just around the top. Yet in the water is better than nothing.

Archived