Innovative Marine Aquariums

Purple Firefish is NEVER seen!

bamaboy333

I have a 28g NC which only has a fireshrimp, some hermits and snails, and the elusive purple firefish. This guy is seen less the Loch ness. It has been over 2 months now and I may have seen him 3 times. The first couple days he hid as expected, then i started to see him in the center of the tank surrounded by rocks, but he would dart off when i came near the tank. Then one day i did a water change and he never came back out. I saw his head peek out a week or two leater from the back of the rock. So 3 weeks ago i got a false perc clown pair thinking they may draw him out. No luck. I see his head once in a blue moon so he hasnt gone carpet surfing (closed tank), and he doesnt even come out for food and never has. How in the world can i get him to make an appearance. he is a beautiful fish so its such a waste.

I have a 28g NC which only has a fireshrimp, some hermits and snails, and the elusive purple firefish. This guy is seen less the Loch ness. It has been over 2 months now and I may have seen him 3 times. The first couple days he hid as expected, then i started to see him in the center of the tank surrounded by rocks, but he would dart off when i came near the tank. Then one day i did a water change and he never came back out. I saw his head peek out a week or two leater from the back of the rock. So 3 weeks ago i got a false perc clown pair thinking they may draw him out. No luck. I see his head once in a blue moon so he hasnt gone carpet surfing (closed tank), and he doesnt even come out for food and never has. How in the world can i get him to make an appearance. he is a beautiful fish so its such a waste.

i bought 2 and saw them the first week then they found holes in the back of my live rock and would see them 1 time a week at night till they died. never will buy another firefish.....

My fire fish is outing the open 99.9 percent of the time when my lights are on. There are nine other small fish in the tank and he just mingles and floats around calmly all day long.

When I had my gramma the fire fish never came out. Now that I got rid of him and got a coral beauty and a wrasse he is starting to come out more but they are VERY SHY fish.

I got one of these about 6 months ago. SUPER shy fish. If there are any fish in the tank that are even slightly territorial, they will scare this guy back into hiding. However, over the past 2 weeks, I've noticed the firefish coming out a little more.. Maybe out of necessity ie: starving.

adding a small group of chromis usually helps firefish feel more comfortable and since green chromis are inexpensive and still add some character to any reef, if you have the room for 3 or so its worth a try.

Archived