SaltCritters.com

Sexy Shrimp gave birth

Durbelethwen

I have been watching my sexy shrimp for about a half an hour and it looks like my female has been pushing out eggs. :happydance: Now what should I do? Since this is my first I am not sure how it all works.

Very nice, Durbelethwen. The links provided are really great, the best being Lisa's thread (reefcentral.com) Another good site is http://sexyshrimp.com/breeding.html . It will be about 2-3 weeks before she will release the young. Do you have a male in the tank? I'm in the process of raising some, you can follow my thread and get some ideas in the process of raising them.

Thank you for all of the replies, though I have not had a chance to look at the links yet. Yes I do have a male. I also have another sexy shrimp but I have only had it for eight days so I am not sure if it is a boy or a girl.

I have been thinking about what to use as a nursery. I have a one gallon tank that I could use if it is adequate: It is only five pieces of clear plastic with a ventilated lid that previously held a betta (the betta moved into a six gallon+ tank with some other fresh water fish and plants). A basic idea that I came up with yesterday is I would cycle the tank with some water from display tank, use some calcium fortified sand that I have, and some plastic plant baby savers that fish stores sell mostly for people with fresh water livebearers. I would also get some live rock rubble but I do not know where I would find any because my local fish store only sells live rocks as small as about 1 lb.

I think I made a mistake and my female is not pregnant. It is the only thing I thought she could be doing from what I saw and the length of time that it was taking her to do it.

Archived