Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

God I hate my goby.

matt frizz

I just got off of the couch (ie started to sit up) that is 12 ft from my tank to go and look at the tank and there was that flash of sand I'm so used to. He was 7" out of his cave and just waiting for me to move so he could disappear.

This fish hates my guts and I cannot get him out without a rock breakdown. I just got my scape how I want it too.

I just got off of the couch (ie started to sit up) that is 12 ft from my tank to go and look at the tank and there was that flash of sand I'm so used to. He was 7" out of his cave and just waiting for me to move so he could disappear.

This fish hates my guts and I cannot get him out without a rock breakdown. I just got my scape how I want it too.

LOL@ "This fish hates my guts"

Go fishing. Get the smallest hook you can find and put mysis on the hook. If you want to keep him for anything make sure it is a barbless hook.

Go fishing. Get the smallest hook you can find and put mysis on the hook. If you want to keep him for anything make sure it is a barbless hook.

Stop I can't take much more LOLOLOLoooooool

Hes serious, someone posted on here awhile ago them catching thier flame angel with a small hook and line.

I really see a guy do this will a flame angel that he could not trap. Since he used a barbless hook it did not hurt the fish. I was thinking about doing this with my gramma I just had to catch but i got it out with only moving 4 rocks so that was not to bad.

I can honestly say that I've done this, and it absolutely works. In an attempt to get an angelfish out of the tank this is the level of desperation I got to after netting the little guy failed miserably. Went to the local fly fishing store (they actually have those in Los Angeles?) and bought the smallest barbless hook I could find and some really thin microfilament. The hardest pars is attempting to put a tiny mysis shrimp on a dinky hook...it's a trial of patience. This totally worked though! In less than 5 minutes I had the angel in the sump, and it's worked for me other times I have a fish that's causing trouble. Good luck fishin'!

I can honestly say that I've done this, and it absolutely works. In an attempt to get an angelfish out of the tank this is the level of desperation I got to after netting the little guy failed miserably. Went to the local fly fishing store (they actually have those in Los Angeles?) and bought the smallest barbless hook I could find and some really thin microfilament. The hardest pars is attempting to put a tiny mysis shrimp on a dinky hook...it's a trial of patience. This totally worked though! In less than 5 minutes I had the angel in the sump, and it's worked for me other times I have a fish that's causing trouble. Good luck fishin'!

Its the thought of trying to get a mysis to stay on the hook that made me laugh

As always I suggest a mini harpoon...

Screw that a .50 cal would work great. When the bullet is bigger than your target you know you are doing something right.

Screw that a .50 cal would work great. When the bullet is bigger than your target you know you are doing something right.

THIS win.

What kind of goby is it?

Yellow Watchman

Here's the problem w/ fishing for him, what if I get the tang or the clown fishies? I don't want to hook them all! lol Maybe I'll have to take out the clowns and tang temporarily and then go fishing. That seems like a funny idea. Better get out my tackle box! :lol:

Yellow Watchman

Just passing along a bit of experience with my Yellow Watchman if the skittishness is the problem. When he's on watch duty for the pistol shrimp he's far less skittish and is out and about all the time. When I had to move him to a quarantine tank when treating all of the fish for ich he was separated from the pistol shrimp. There he became quite the fraidy cat and a bit morose. When reunited with his shrimp buddy he returned to his bold normal.

Just passing along a bit of experience with my Yellow Watchman if the skittishness is the problem. When he's on watch duty for the pistol shrimp he's far less skittish and is out and about all the time. When I had to move him to a quarantine tank when treating all of the fish for ich he was separated from the pistol shrimp. There he became quite the fraidy cat and a bit morose. When reunited with his shrimp buddy he returned to his bold normal.

Cool. I don't want the fish though. I want a blue spotted jawfish and I want to limit the amount of fish living in the sand area to one. The jawfish would probably even take the gobies cove which would be sweet. Plus the jawfish is way more personable. If you look at my tank pic in the signature, and then look at the right side of the tank, the gobies cove is in between the frags of acans in the sand.

Ya for the fishing it would be better if you could remove the other fish to another tank for a few days. Durring that time dont feed the goby for 2 days then go fishing. That way he will come out with you at the tank and take the bait.

Ya for the fishing it would be better if you could remove the other fish to another tank for a few days. Durring that time dont feed the goby for 2 days then go fishing. That way he will come out with you at the tank and take the bait.

Yeah he'll come out and eat when he's REALLY hungry and I'm at the tank. Otherwise during feeding he is a ghost. I'm pretty sure he's living off of scraps and pods. I dosed the tank with 1000 pods last month and even the clowns can find where they hide out sometimes and eat them.

I don't have a tank to keep the others so I'll probably put up a barrier of some sort half way through the tank, then take the rock pieces out one by one on the right side until I get to the one he lives under. then when I pull it out he'll have nowhere else to hide because of the barrier. Then I'll net him. This avoids total rock breakdown and will get him out.

Is this common for YWG's?

I have one in my 6 gallon...matter of fact I'm staring his punk ass down right now as I type this.

If I move anywhere near the tank, he shoots in his hole under the rock... He's been doing this for months...and he never comes out unless I leave my office. When I come in early in the morning he's out partying his ass off...but as soon as I turn on the lights in the office...he shoots in his hole under the rock

IT'S SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YWGs get much braver once they have shrimp... mine was a pansy at the start.

Now (8 months later), I can have my hand over the tank feeding and he just sits there waiting to get his share. Sudden movements still send him swimming, though.

what about the water bottle trap set directly over his hole? That way he comes out as usual and has no choice but to go straight into the bottle?

Northern Enlighted

I had a pacific white tail dwarf angel that went around terrorizing my tank and killed 3 other fish after living with them for 6 months or so. I was so mad that it killed about $150 worth of fish I had to seperate it into my FOWLR. I could not catch it also without taking everything out of the tank. SO, I did the next best thing...like you he would dart behind a rock when I came within 5 feet of the tank I set up a new Shop Vac nozzle I had in a box in the garage in his little cave just above the mouth where he enters. I left the vac off and turned the switch on but didnt plug it in. Well I went over to the plug behind my couch and lit a smoke and waited for the little ba^%@rd to pop his head into his favorite cave. THEN FWAAAP!!! Right up the tube like the fat kid in Willie Wonka's Chocolate factory! I unplugged the vac quickly to avoid losing a gallon of water every 2 seconds....but the little fish was in the body swimming around like he had some fun. Yes I did put some water in the vac beforhand... He then was transplanted into my 120g FOWLR with the bigger fish. He actually killed off a coral beauty angel in that tank too before he took to dying off himself...

Anyway, yes some fish are like relatives, sometimes you just want them OUT!!!

Archived