Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Infamous Stocking Question

VolksBriBri

I have a 20G high aquarium with approx 9lbs of live rock, 1x Kenya Tree, 2x Hawaiin Feather Duster, 3x Margarita Snail, 2x Turbo Snail, 5x Blue Leg Hermit, along with some brown button polyps, some macro algae, and a Fire Shrimp and Yellow Coris Wrasse. I use an Aqueon 30 Power Filter. My question is about fish stocking. I wanted to know your thoughts on either of these combinations: an additional Tomato Clownfish and a bi-color blenny, watchman goby, or firefish, OR a pair of Tomato clownfish. I am hesitant on a pair of tomatos because of their sheer size. What are your thoughts?

post-63743-1296108076_thumb.jpg

tomatos are terrors. bicolor blenny is my favorite fish, but it can also be not reef safe. yellow watchman seems like a good choice. firefish is fine, they can jump or hide a lot. if u want a clownfish, go with an ocellaris. i wouldn't do a pair

I have a 20G high aquarium with approx 9lbs of live rock, 1x Kenya Tree, 2x Hawaiin Feather Duster, 3x Margarita Snail, 2x Turbo Snail, 5x Blue Leg Hermit, along with some brown button polyps, some macro algae, and a Fire Shrimp and Yellow Coris Wrasse. I use an Aqueon 30 Power Filter. My question is about fish stocking. I wanted to know your thoughts on either of these combinations: an additional Tomato Clownfish and a bi-color blenny, watchman goby, or firefish, OR a pair of Tomato clownfish. I am hesitant on a pair of tomatos because of their sheer size. What are your thoughts?

post-63743-1296108076_thumb.jpg

I would also stay away from the tomato clown in that size tank. The percs and occ. are both smaller and less aggressive.

A firefish would be great but you will have to get a top. They will jump!

I also like the idea of a watchman goby...maybe pair it with a shrimp. It is a fun combination to watch.

The yellow coris wrasse will probably get too big for that tank...I have seen suggestions from 30 - 50g minimums.

There is a great list of fish stickied at the top of the beginner's section to get some good ideas...or you can just wait for "Animalmaster" to post his suggested gobies :)

If you are going with the "minimalistic" look (which is cool) and a very small filter... it means you will have less filtration to work with and will have to be careful of your parameters. Regular water changes will be a must I would think.

IME, yellow coris wrasses have a tendency to throw their weight around with similarly shaped fish; I'd recommend against adding a second open-water swimmer.

instead, I'd suggest a shrimp goby (YWG, wheeler's, bluespotted watchman, or similarly sized species) and a blenny (tailspot, bicolor, or similar).

If you go firefish beware, he could be a great personality having free swimmer, or be like mine and go into hiding and never be seen. Its kind of a gamble. They can be jumpers but thats easily solved with a top, the hiders arent so easily fixed. I have a ocellaris pair and the are great active entertaining additions. I have considered getting a wrasse in my 28g but most would only reccomend some of the flashers or a six line and those are still pushing it.

If you need any algae cleanup, a lawnmover or starry blenny are good as well. They are pretty ugly but their personalities more than make up for their lack of color. They are also less likely to nip at corals than the bi-color.

Archived