inTank Media Baskets

Walmart distilled water?

Cliff Z

Folks,

Which is better for my initial set up of tank--Walmart RO from their machine (if its not frozen-cold in NY) or their Purple capped distilled water? Ill buy a Home Depot 5gal bucket and make 3 batches of water for initial fill of my 14g biocube Thanks

Purple capped distilled water would probably be the safer bet. I've heard some posters claim high TDS from the machines due to lack of filter changes. I usually test store-milk-bottle-distilled water at 1-3 TDS.

I went with distilled for my initial setup. That is what I would suggest to you. You never know how accurate the maintenance logs are on the RO machines IMO.

I used their purple cap distilled water for the first six month I had my tank (When I had a 20gallon). Worked great.. I wouldn't trust their RO water personally, I'm sure they don't change their filters as religiously as they should. And I'm sure their acceptable ppm isn't nearly as low as it should be for a healthy saltwater environment.

Folks---thanks for your quick responses!!! distilled it is---any recommendations on salt /per gallon to get salinity close? Whats the best way to mix, I dont have spare pump to circulate in Home Depot bucket. Thanks!

I used their purple cap distilled water for the first six month I had my tank (When I had a 20gallon). Worked great.. I wouldn't trust their RO water personally, I'm sure they don't change their filters as religiously as they should. And I'm sure their acceptable ppm isn't nearly as low as it should be for a healthy saltwater environment.
Folks---thanks for your quick responses!!! distilled it is---any recommendations on salt /per gallon to get salinity close? Whats the best way to mix, I dont have spare pump to circulate in Home Depot bucket. Thanks!

You'll need an extra powerhead and a extra heater to do water changes so you should just pick them up now. They don't need to be expensive but I don't know how you could be by without them.

A hydrometer or refractometer measures the salinity in the water, refractometer being more precise.

I USE the walmart distilled water.. Def worth the money, I have almost rid myself of the GHA.. and just save yourself the trouble!

You'll need an extra powerhead and a extra heater to do water changes so you should just pick them up now. They don't need to be expensive but I don't know how you could be by without them.

A hydrometer or refractometer measures the salinity in the water, refractometer being more precise.

As far as how i got by without them.. i took the heater out of the tank every time i had to do a water change, a 20 gallon wont change temp that fast in the tank.. (this is only when it was cold)..

But powerhead, is almost a must.. i almost killed my nems because i thought i had mixed the salt all the way with spoons and such.. well.. wrong..

I wish i had a hydrometer right now (next in the line of equipment to get) im just using the float.

As far as how i got by without them.. i took the heater out of the tank every time i had to do a water change, a 20 gallon wont change temp that fast in the tank.. (this is only when it was cold)..

Glad it works for you....but removing the heater from your tank to heat water change water is the most ridiculously hassle filled thing I could imagine.......Unless you are heating a few gallons with a 200W heater......doesn't it take hours and hours to heat up? Unless you are meeting in the middle and lowering the tank temp while raising the bucket temp to both be about 70 degrees ;)

Glad it works for you....but removing the heater from your tank to heat water change water is the most ridiculously hassle filled thing I could imagine.......Unless you are heating a few gallons with a 200W heater......doesn't it take hours and hours to heat up? Unless you are meeting in the middle and lowering the tank temp while raising the bucket temp to both be about 70 degrees ;)

lmao im only doing 2 gallon water changes, and the water is at room temp to start.. so its not as bad as it sounds..

a huge pain in the ass to take the heater out every time.. +10000 lmao but hey we get by how we get by.

True story. I guess my house is usually cold.....when I check the temp of any water change water that has been sitting, it is usually about 62 degrees. Crazy cold....

a half cup of salt per gallon of water will get you in the neighborhood. you can use pretty much anything to mix up the salt - I used to use a length of PVC leftover from plumbing my tank. or my hand.

I used to use a looooooong plastic mixing spoon. I think I got it as part of a 4 or 5 pack where each spoon was slightly longer. It was like 5 bucks at Wal-Mart or something. Not expensive at all.

Folks--Got the water--and one of those blue plastic water bottles to store 5gallons for water changes. so 1/2 cup salt per gallon to start with? thanks

I used to use a looooooong plastic mixing spoon. I think I got it as part of a 4 or 5 pack where each spoon was slightly longer. It was like 5 bucks at Wal-Mart or something. Not expensive at all.

Archived