Cultivated Reef

Smallest T5HO?

BananaSlug79

Well, I recently set up a 5gal with two 18w Coralife 50/50 and I'm starting to think this isn't going to be enough light. Go figure, rght? Is there a T5HO bulb under 10"? I built a custom stand with hood and the inside demensions where the lights go are 9.5" x 9.5". Also, the lights are 2" from the surface so a MH won't work unless I rebuild... any suggestions? I know, I know... LED... is that my only choice?

LED is probably your best choice at this point. 2 inches off the surface will mean wide optics on those LED's...

Power compacts rerto kit cheaper than LED's and it will be bright!

My .02

Fredy

PCs are poo. You won't be keeping exotic SPS in this tank if you choose PC...but maybe I am wrong.

Basically what I just said is this:

PC+SPS=NO

PC+other coral=YES (depending on species)

there are no T5HO that short, LEDs would be your best bet, since you only have space to run them 2in off the water surface and in a tank that small you wont need any optics at all

Coral life makes a 12" and (I think) an 18" T5 fixture. I have seen them at a pet store around here. Anyways, the say they are T5HO... I want to say the 12" fixture was 18 watts (2x9) and the 18" fixture was 32 watts (2x16). I am actually going there tomorrow to pick up a dog crate so I will check and edit these values if necessary.

Edit: 2x6 for 12" model. Didn't see 18"

i picked up some radioactive dragon eye a couple of weeks ago and they are losing color pretty quick. All my parmeters are good, with the exception of phosphates at 0.25ppm and Ca being a little low at 350pm. Only thing I can attribute the color loss to is the available light being provided. Both bulbs are brand new so thats not the problem, but I do have the zoas at thevery bottom of the tank. I'm not going to entertain the idea of moving them higher in the tank though, so it's looking like either LED or brown zoas huh. shoot.

Coral life makes a 12" and (I think) an 18" T5 fixture. I have seen them at a pet store around here. Anyways, the say they are T5HO... I want to say the 12" fixture was 18 watts (2x9) and the 18" fixture was 32 watts (2x16). I am actually going there tomorrow to pick up a dog crate so I will check and edit these values if necessary.

I've seen the coralife ones, I read the packaging and it looked like it was T5 NO, not HO? I could be wrong or saw a different model.

They are NO. The smallest HO bulbs are the 12" (10.25" actual length IIRC) UVL ones.

;)

We (Nanotuners) are the only distributor of them.

• 3 months later...

Clive, if the ballast was switched out on that model, could it be retrofitted to support the 12" T5HO UVL bulbs you guys sell? I haven't been able to find anyone using the 12" T5HO bulbs in an existing retro. Do you know of any other examples of the 12" T5HO being used in any build threads here?

Doh, thanks HD.

I know they make other T5 NO fixtures that are around 12" in length. I guess my real question was whether or not a NO fixture with an upgraded ballast would be able to power HO bulbs and if it has been done. I like these lamps and they are perfect in size for a smaller tank, but I haven't seen them in use. I can see how you could retro them unimaginatively on a wooden board, but that would look like ####e.

Fixture length: 11"

12" T5HO bulbs: 12"

Actual bulb length is 10.5" like said above. Check the length of the replacement coralife 6w NO T5s and if they are the same = win.

Evil,

On nanotuners website it says the 12" t5s are 20w. Is that correct or are they 13w?

Also, do you guys see the bulbs being available for a few years or will they be obsolete any time soon?

HecticDialectics
Actual bulb length is 10.5" like said above. Check the length of the replacement coralife 6w NO T5s and if they are the same = win.

Judging by the picture, there looks to be more than .25" on either side of the bulbs

mini-aqualight-t5-coralife-2.jpg

I'd guess those bulbs are 8.5-9"

Judging by the picture, there looks to be more than .25" on either side of the bulbs

I'd guess those bulbs are 8.5-9"

Yeah you're right. I looked it up and the are only 9". Too bad, but of course it can never be that simple :lol:

Indeed, that woulda been pretty cool if it was just a ballast swap out.

Yep, it just seems like an awesome concept, but I don't of anyone that has been able to implement it. Originally there was pictures of a 4 x 20W 12" fixture, but I have never actually seen it. Makes these bulbs cool, but not as functional.

Archived