Pod Your Reef

can you freshwater dip montipora?

matt frizz

I have a brittle star living underneath my sunset monti and I want him gone because I suspect he's damaging the coral.

Can you freshwater dip montiporas? I'd probably just hold it under until the star dies.

qwiksilver711
I have a brittle star living underneath my sunset monti and I want him gone because I suspect he's damaging the coral.

Can you freshwater dip montiporas? I'd probably just hold it under until the star dies.

can u get at the starfish with tweezers and just pull him out? I did that with some stars living in inconvenient places... I don't know about freshwater dipping them though.

Thanks for letting me know. Everytime I try to grab the star w/ tweezers he just pulls his legs in and it gets ripped off. He's tucked in there really good. I'm not positive if it's him but the damage was not this bad until he moved in right underneath it.

I constantly check for stars on the monti so I know exactly when he moved in. Ever since then the damage has doubled (i also have asterinas eating it as well but the damage was not noticeable until the brittle started living under it).

I have harlequins eating the asterinas so they are not as abundant anymore. So I'm pretty sure that its the brittle but not 100%. It could def. be the asterinas but I'm just not taking any chances w/ starfish anymore.

I have bristle stars and asterinas and none of them eat my motiporas. I would think that it is some water parameter that is off, or a too drastic change or something like that.

Take your monti out if you can and give it a dip in something like Coral RX that is especialy made for dipping coral. Use the tank water, not freshwater. You may have some parasites that are eating it that are too small to see.

So I'm pretty sure that its the brittle but not 100%. It could def. be the asterinas but I'm just not taking any chances w/ starfish anymore.

Archived