SaltCritters.com

My first Nano-Reef Tank

lvthud

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on here for all the valuable information you have shared, really, you have saved me hours of head aches and who knows how much $$$$

So here is the plan, I already have a 75G SW tank that has been up and running for about 3 years, it's a pretty basic thing, but of late I have been thinking about doing some reef work. With my 75G about as stable as a home tank can get I really don't want to mess with it, so I figure (due to space limitations) I will go with a nano tank.

My first choice is the fluval edge, mainly for looks, but it is also well documented on here and the mods seem easy enough.

Second would be a biocube

Lastly, while wandering around on EBay I came across THIS

To me it looks like a cheap knock off of the biocube ???

Anyways, I have explained to the wife that we will be picking up a tank this week, sand, water and a few pieces of live rock will go in...then that's it for a while... Following the beginners guide here folks, I figure that if we go for the edge going through the cycle will at least allow me to get the LED's in.

If anyone has any tips please feel free to share, I will post pictures as the tank comes together.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to post on here.

Dave

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone on here for all the valuable information you have shared, really, you have saved me hours of head aches and who knows how much $$$$

So here is the plan, I already have a 75G SW tank that has been up and running for about 3 years, it's a pretty basic thing, but of late I have been thinking about doing some reef work. With my 75G about as stable as a home tank can get I really don't want to mess with it, so I figure (due to space limitations) I will go with a nano tank.

My first choice is the fluval edge, mainly for looks, but it is also well documented on here and the mods seem easy enough.

Second would be a biocube

Lastly, while wandering around on EBay I came across THIS

To me it looks like a cheap knock off of the biocube ???

Anyways, I have explained to the wife that we will be picking up a tank this week, sand, water and a few pieces of live rock will go in...then that's it for a while... Following the beginners guide here folks, I figure that if we go for the edge going through the cycle will at least allow me to get the LED's in.

If anyone has any tips please feel free to share, I will post pictures as the tank comes together.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to post on here.

Dave

Not sure what size you're looking for. A certain online retailer you could easily find on your own (don't wanna be accused of being a rep lol) is selling 28g jbj hqi's for $314. A steal.

I am leary of knockoffs. It may be a well made tank but there is a lot to say about getting a tank from a reputable retailer. I did have a 14g biocube crack in transit from DrFosterSmith and a new one was sent out right away. The retailer on ebay may do the same but may not, it's a chance. When I was broke all the time I shopped for the best deal but always wanted proven equipment with good customer service.

The only thing I would say about the HQI nanocube is be leary of the heat. Unless you keep your house very, very cool you might need a chiller which can double the cost right off the bat. I have nothing against MH lights, I just know I've had to battle heat on a few tanks and it can be done but it cost money.

I vote 14g Biocube or 12g Nanocube if you want a <15g tank. I've had both and was happy with both.

I am leary of knockoffs. It may be a well made tank but there is a lot to say about getting a tank from a reputable retailer. I did have a 14g biocube crack in transit from DrFosterSmith and a new one was sent out right away. The retailer on ebay may do the same but may not, it's a chance. When I was broke all the time I shopped for the best deal but always wanted proven equipment with good customer service.

The only thing I would say about the HQI nanocube is be leary of the heat. Unless you keep your house very, very cool you might need a chiller which can double the cost right off the bat. I have nothing against MH lights, I just know I've had to battle heat on a few tanks and it can be done but it cost money.

I vote 14g Biocube or 12g Nanocube if you want a <15g tank. I've had both and was happy with both.

Heh FS is the retailer in question, and yes, I've had good experiences with them also.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back here, work is trying to kill me.

Anyways, my wife ended up buying me the Edge for my birthday, it's now been up and running for almost 3 weeks, it seems to have cycled, but I am still going to leave it another week just in case.

The light fixture is going to be replaced this week as well by a custom one my LFS does, they actually have a great Edge set up on display and the mod they do to the hood/light is very clean and produces a nice light.

I did have one major accident with the tank last week, we have a Savannah kitten, she has figured out she can jump, so she jumped on the counter above where the tank is stored, knocked over a vase (totally my fault for leaving it there in the first place) and of course knocked the vase over onto the edge and cracked the top sheet of glass.

I have taken the water level down to below the top sheet (hello bubbles) and have been applying apoxy to it every 48 hrs (sanding it down to flush first) with the hopes of being able to save the tank, only time will tell.

I will post pictures tomorrow of where I am at with the tank.

Archived