ReefCleaners.org

Food Grade 55G water storage

24nanoguy

I did the same search a few days ago and that company was about all there is out there for good prices. There are some other suppliers, but they all seem to have the same exact product but slightly higher prices. The only thing I gained from all the searching is that a closed top/2 opening barrel can handle a lot more than an open top/removable barrel. Seems like the closed top ones are rated for shipping chemicals, so that is good enough for me to store water in....

I did the same search a few days ago and that company was about all there is out there for good prices. There are some other suppliers, but they all seem to have the same exact product but slightly higher prices. The only thing I gained from all the searching is that a closed top/2 opening barrel can handle a lot more than an open top/removable barrel. Seems like the closed top ones are rated for shipping chemicals, so that is good enough for me to store water in....

Agreed. So now my debate is save the $30 and get a 30 gallon, or stick with my initial thought of 55 gallons. Or 2 30 Gallons, one for rodi one for mixed........???

Why not use a Brute trashcan? Some are food safe. They are cheap and locally available. Just curious.

I found used 55G barrels like the ones you linked to locally on craigslist for $10. I use mine for rain barrels. They were originally used for syrup at the local soda bottling plant and are food grade.

Why not use a Brute trashcan? Some are food safe. They are cheap and locally available. Just curious.

I found used 55G barrels like the ones you linked to locally on craigslist for $10. I use mine for rain barrels. They were originally used for syrup at the local soda bottling plant and are food grade.

Thought about the trash can but wasn't sure how they will hold up long term. Seems like I replace my trash cans once a year. I'm going to try C.L. too.

Ebay is where I ended up buying my little 10 gallon barrels.....so that might be worth a quick look for larger sizes.

Found some on C.l. In north Seattle....sent an e mail to him. You want to go get em for me Paul?? LOL

Thought about the trash can but wasn't sure how they will hold up long term. Seems like I replace my trash cans once a year. I'm going to try C.L. too.

Randy Holmes-Farley has written that he uses Brute cans. You can't go wrong.

When you said that you replace your cans once a year... were you talking about Brute trash cans? The Brute cans are heavier material and rated as food grade (certain colors). I've seen 10 year old brutes still in service so curious about your experience with breakdown.

The reason I chose a Brute over a barrel was I find it easier to clean properly. I never found a good way to clean the barrel without cutting off the top which is basically a trashcan. How will you clean it?

I use 55 gallon drums that had potable water treatment chemicals in them, easy to clean out with muriatic acid. But they aren't available everywhere. Try the farm supply store, they often have contacts for the food grade barrels, they sell them here for $20. If that doesn't work, a Brute 32 gallon is $25 at our local HD. I used a cheaper version for live rock culture and it lasted 8 years before it developed a small leak when I pulled it across a concrete floor with it full of rock.

A Brute, which I replaced the leaking one with, is likely to last forever, as long as I don't throw it around or drag it full of rock!

Sams club has the Brute 33 gallon for $27. I use them for roofing and they last 2years compared to 2 jobs with the cheap ones.

Ease of cleaning would be my selling feature

Sams club has the Brute 33 gallon for $27. I use them for roofing and they last 2years compared to 2 jobs with the cheap ones.

Ease of cleaning would be my selling feature

Would you really need to clean one though??? I don't see any reason why a sealed food grade barell would need to be cleaned....

Everything in this hobby needs cleaned periodically...

I love my Brute trashcan on wheels. Can't go wrong with that IMO.

Yeah, I priced the brute tonight.......I can get two 55G f/g for the price of one brute......lol

But are they mobile? ;)

They aren't cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

I can put em on wheels. But I don't want to :D :D

I'm heading to pick some up Saturday if anyone local wants to get in on $15 55 Gallon barrels. I will charge a small fuel fee and you would have to meet me in Tacoma with cash.....

jeff@zina.com
Thought about the trash can but wasn't sure how they will hold up long term. Seems like I replace my trash cans once a year.

Brute gray cans by Rubbermaid, 32 gallon and 44 gallon, easily available at your local Home Depot. Last forever. Cheaper than your site. Get the dolly too.

Jeff

qwiksilver711
So got them today......

What can I use clean/disinfect them?????? They had syrup in them...

um... water and vinegar? u could probably use tap water at first, and a couple rinses with a few gallons of ro di water after

HecticDialectics

Syrup is pretty sticky... I'd probably fill it with water and let it sit so the sugar can dissolve. Then pour it out and rinse it a few times.

I guess there's no lid? Can you get inside and scrub it?

Would you really need to clean one though??? I don't see any reason why a sealed food grade barell would need to be cleaned....

So got them today......

What can I use clean/disinfect them?????? They had syrup in them...

heh

I would think the vinegar option is pretty good. People tend to clean any/all equipment with vinegar....so cleaning the drum should be no different. If you wanted to bleach it you could.....just make sure you rinse it well after and do not use if you can smell any chlorine left. Could always run some dechlorinator through it......small amount of water, large amount of dechlorinator, swished around so it contacts all walls.

If you can regenerate Purigen with a 50/50 mix of bleach and water then you should be able to rinse a barrel with something a lot weaker ;)

Syrup is pretty sticky...

Is it even sticky? All the "used" barrel advertisements I saw said the barrels were used for soda fountain syrup and then already washed out and ready for "potable water storage". Did they screw you?

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... going off the earlier dechlorinator comment.....you could bleach it....then make up a full barrel of water and dump a crap ton of dechlorinator in it and let it sit for a few days. Then throw away all the water.

Archived