inTank Media Baskets

Problem with growin coralline algae help !

Nano-Chachita-tank

Nano-Chachita-tank

Another problem that i am facing is that i am not growing coralline algae yet ? and well i asked the LFS and they told me that if i increase the does on the calcium part of the B-ionic 2 part system it would cause the spread of coralline algae because they said its not really algae but more of a calcium deposit on the rock that for is this true???????

Everyone opinions are welcome

if it help my tanks been running for about 3 months now

its possible to get coralline spots within the first three months on correct dosing so yes there's room for improvement but its not a big deal.

if you are adding any per the directions plus changing water correctly it will grow when its ready, people get it in water change only setups where no two part is added.

the best you can do is only add the dosers in the morning, before lights on, never ever in the afternoon, and test your water to find upper range calcium and alk measures. you seed the tank with coralline by adding any substrate from another tank--substrate including rock, sand, frag bases, snail shells, etc so even if you can't see them, coralline spores are ready just not willing yet.

There are some water change only tanks that cannot grow coralline, and some underdosed tanks that can't either. constantly fluctuating ion levels of calcium and alk, by constantly riding the line of low to medium levels, slows the process.

some hate coralline because it junks up the scape. I like it, but it is a hassle agreed. its the only reason my tank is scratched beyond comprehension

Another problem that i am facing is that i am not growing coralline algae yet ? and well i asked the LFS and they told me that if i increase the does on the calcium part of the B-ionic 2 part system it would cause the spread of coralline algae because they said its not really algae but more of a calcium deposit on the rock that for is this true???????

Everyone opinions are welcome

if it help my tanks been running for about 3 months now

First and foremost DO NOT dose without testing. Specifically Calcium dKH, and pH. You need to know what your levels are at before you can accurately dose.

An analogy would be that your doctor just hands you a bag of pills and tells you to take them without examining you, weighing you, determining if you are male or female, or how old you are. A good way to end up on the wrong end of messed up or dead.

Secondly it is best to distribute the dose amount over the day if at all possible. This is done by using a dosing system that can be expensive so the alternative is to take the total dose amount needed to reach a given level (420 for calcium, 8-10 for dKH, and 8.2-8.4 for pH) and divide it in half. Then dose the first part in the morning and the second half in the evening. This allows for a more consistent rise in parameters and greater stability instead of spiking everything up high with the single dose then having it fall over the course of the time between dosing.

Thirdly see if a fellow reefer has a small piece of live rock that has some coraline on it. Use it to seed your tank.

If your parameters are in the zone mentioned above, your lights are decent, and you have a source of the stuff in your tank it will grow.

+1

definitely dont dose without testing first...i made that mistake then discovered I had about 2000 ppm of magnesium, nearly 800 ppm of calcium and a kH of like 3...

save yourself some pain and buy some good test kits, maybe your Ca is low...but right now you have no idea.

Archived