Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[old] Rapid LED 4-color par38

tako

I'm pretty set on ordering the new 17w par38's with 3 RB, 1B, 1WW, 2CW LED's.

I currently have a biocube 8 with some LPS and softies that are doing fine under stock lighting. I don't have any immediate plans for SPS, but it might be nice to try some. I don't mind a little spotlighting, but I don't like some of the tanks I've seen with tight beams cutting the water.

In the next year I'm hoping to upgrade to an ADA 60P since I can buy it locally, or maybe just a bc14. Therefore, I may buy two bulbs to have a matching set. Again, I'd still like to have the option of SPS in a portion of the tank.

With all that in mind, 60 or 80 degrees? (If I decide to buy 2 I guess, I could be crazy and do one of each)

I have a AP12 and ordered the same bulb with the 60 deg optics. I figured the bulb should be 16" or so above my sand level to give me a 12" spread at sand level.

I ended up just buying one with 60 deg optics. They said it should ship tomorrow. I can't believe I haven't heard people talking about these on nano-reef. The LED combination will hopefully give a nice color.

I'll have to be very careful not to bleach stuff, and I may have to move my frogspawn that's 2" from the surface. Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to mount it and cover the cube. Incorporating some moonlights might also be nice.

My order just shipped. I think rapid LED is also in California, so hopefully I'll get the package by this weekend. I'll try to get some shots of the light even though I don't have a fixture yet.

It came in the mail today, but I only had a minute to mess with it. I'll try to get some pictures up later tonight. :D

It weighs less than I was imagining, but still enough to make the metal gooseneck on my desk lamp sag. The black anodized heatsink is pretty sexy, so hopefully I'll find a fixture to show it off. The WW and blue LEDs have a significantly different color than the CW and RB ones. The result is much more purplish-blue than the crappy stock lights on the biocube.

Ok here's a couple shots I took while I had it briefly rigged up over the tank.

5395346748_0e9b15d3e3_z.jpg

As you can see safety is my first priority; hence, the lead weight on the base of the lamp :lol: . Yes, I will get a better fixture and the bulb won't be enclosed like that. The light was about 16-18" above the water level. I know the tank looks very bright and glowing in the photo, but in reality it's a lot dimmer than the standard biocube 8 lights. I know this doesn't correspond to the actual PAR levels, though.

Since, I know you were going to ask:

5395347332_eb86baea69_z.jpg

Yes, it does shimmer like crazy.

Finally, a shot of the 7 LED sexiness:

5395346186_c0003f725c_z.jpg

I'll try to get some better stuff up over the weekend and some of my thoughts.

Wow. You sure can tell there is a warm white in there from the shimmer reflection.

Yeah, it's going to take some getting used to. There is very noticeable color separation in the shimmer on the sand. Also, the shadows cast have a strong orange and blue fringe -- especially the light passing through small openings.

Here's a couple others I took last night. I try to get some better ones this weekend. White balance isn't correct on either of these photos, but it's not too bad.

5395822279_5265f4647b_z.jpg

My frogspawn/hammer is a fairly light shade of green with pink tips. The LEDs definitely enhance the green, but the pink is pretty subdued. Along those lines, my red titan macro is also fairly muted in color under the LEDs

5395821363_746a3fb0dc_z.jpg

It appears more purple than red under this lighting. I think the warm white LED definitely helps and it will be a matter of me adjusting from the very warm yellow of the biocube lights to the cool blue color. The color produced by these bulbs reminds me of what I see scuba diving on a reef in 30ft; large shift to the blue spectrum, but still some reds.

I went searching for a fixture yesterday. Found some potential options at IKEA and Home Depot, but ultimately went with a $15 architect lamp at Office Depot. It has detachable shade, which is ideal for the PAR 38's, and a base that clamps on the edge of the desk.

5402757587_06730af815_z.jpg

It still has the packaging on in this photo because I was worried I'd have to return it because it couldn't handle the weight. It looks great and is extremely adjustable. The bulb is currently about 13" above the water surface which is about 24-25 off the sand bed. Hopefully a reduced photo period will be enough to avoid bleaching. I hope to lower it eventually to about 10" off the water and put a small sps frag near the center of the beam. Any opinions on this?

Also, does this seem like a 60 or 80 bulb? I asked them to change the optics after I placed the order, so I'm just curious if it happened. I know you can get a good estimate from trig, but any guesses?

5403358048_f5c10e00a2_z.jpg

The coral most enhanced by the LEDs is definitely my GSP. It's always been pretty short and not the brightest GSP, but under the new lighting it really glows. This picture doesn't begin to do it justice. My one patch of green/purple zoas also looks amazing, but they been pretty upset lately and not opening as much.

thanks for the pics! got anymore feedback or did you get a change to snap a few more pics? Very interested in these lamps.

I'm pretty set on ordering the new 17w par38's with 3 RB, 1B, 1WW, 2CW LED's

You realize if you ditch the WW and CWs and just use three NW's you'll get about the same color but with much less of a color problem?

I like these color experiments, but the 'Saturday Night Fever' effect isn't exactly winning folks over to the LED arena. Bet the light looks cool bounced off a disco ball with a smoke machine on though :-)

You realize if you ditch the WW and CWs and just use three NW's you'll get about the same color but with much less of a color problem?

I like these color experiments, but the 'Saturday Night Fever' effect isn't exactly winning folks over to the LED arena. Bet the light looks cool bounced off a disco ball with a smoke machine on though :-)

actually there is no disco effect with this bulb i just put one over my 200g DD last night

the disco effect mainly comes from having wayyyyyy toooo much surface agitation, so unless you have all your powerheads pointing at the top of your tank the shimmer actually resembles a MH very well and it is east to adjust the intensity/duration if you change the surface agitation

the color blend is perfect, its a balanced white/blue, not overly powerful in either form which to me makes it a great 50/50 bulb

i'll have to get some shots of it next to my PAR38 nanocustoms 12k and 20k as well as the 2 style of customs i run over my tank

Rapid led IMO has made the perfect led bulb and after a few weeks of it being up over my sps i'll be able to give a better review of it but for now it seems as good as it can get

Sure you might get the same temperature of white light, but the red spectrum of that light will still be completely different.

actually there is no disco effect with this bulb i just put one over my 200g DD last night

the disco effect mainly comes from having wayyyyyy toooo much surface agitation, so unless you have all your powerheads pointing at the top of your tank the shimmer actually resembles a MH very well and it is east to adjust the intensity/duration if you change the surface agitation

This is correct. That picture was taken when the rotating hydor flo was pointing directly at the surface. I like the hydor flo too much, so I'll deal with the intermittent crazy shimmer. Although, everyone that's seen the tank loves the effect. I was able to greatly reduce the amount of shimmer by placing an acrylic lid on the tank. The condensation on the lid scatters the light more.

the color blend is perfect, its a balanced white/blue, not overly powerful in either form which to me makes it a great 50/50 bulb

It's definitely the best LED blend I've seen in person, but I still think the spectrum is missing something. It doesn't come off quite as natural feeling as a good set of T5's or MH, IMO.

That being said, Rapid LED has put together a great product. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap and easy way to get into LED lighting. Plus, the all black anodized bulb is so good looking I want it out in the open to show off (maybe that's just the engineer in me).

Funktastic Wint

i was not aware of this bulb! thanks for bringing it to my attention. do you think this lamp would work ok on my 3 gallon picotope? would this destroy zoas or do u think it would help them grow faster? i want to order this light but not if it is too much light. i want to keep mostly zoas, ricordias, mini carpets, and some sps...birdsnest, montis etc. thanks in advance! :)

i was not aware of this bulb! thanks for bringing it to my attention. do you think this lamp would work ok on my 3 gallon picotope? would this destroy zoas or do u think it would help them grow faster? i want to order this light but not if it is too much light. i want to keep mostly zoas, ricordias, mini carpets, and some sps...birdsnest, montis etc. thanks in advance! :)

The par30 would be plenty for a pico, but it will just be CW and RB LEDs. A par38 with 80 degree optics would still be ok IMO. You're going to get a lot of light spill and have to be careful acclimating coral. There's plenty of people on here that have done it with the 21w nanocustoms bulb. You can check to see what their experience was.

Funktastic Wint
The par30 would be plenty for a pico, but it will just be CW and RB LEDs. A par38 with 80 degree optics would still be ok IMO. You're going to get a lot of light spill and have to be careful acclimating coral. There's plenty of people on here that have done it with the 21w nanocustoms bulb. You can check to see what their experience was.

thanks

what sort of methods have u seen for light acclimation?

what could i diffuse the light with if it is too intense?

any ideas?

think alot of ppl just use window screening. You can layer it easily as well. I've always thought just the standard light diffuser from home depot would work maybe (in the lighting department where you get the egg crate). Not sure if that would scatter it too much tho.

With this bulb you could just raise it up higher and bring it down a little each day. Especially if you have one of those swinging-arm type fixtures. :)

Brandon

Funktastic Wint
With this bulb you could just raise it up higher and bring it down a little each day. Especially if you have one of those swinging-arm type fixtures. :)

Brandon

thanks guys. i just ordered it. i hope its awesome!

thanks guys. i just ordered it. i hope its awesome!

Hope you like it! Just keep an eye on your corals and increase the intensity/duration of the light slowly over a couple weeks.

Archived