Pod Your Reef

pineapple sponges outta control

JerseyChick

i just counted over 40 pine apple sponges in several areas of my tank and a pretty large white sponge with a bluish tint (well over an inch and a half with several stalks coming out from it)

i know growth is always a good sign of water chemistry/lighting but to have 40 pineapple sponges?

anyone know what I am doing either right or wrong?

They are harmless. How big are they, and where are they located (on/under the rocks, filter, etc.)? 40 1/4" sponges is not a big deal.

danthenewreefman

they are great silicate removers. do not harm them . they assist in keeping diatoms at bay. My overflow has about a billion, so closely packed that no water can flow down without going through them.

----

but to remove them -- use chemical phosphate remover, most remove silicates too. Treat them like an algae - remove the food source.

No I don't wanna remove them, they seem to be causing no tank problems, they are attached to rocks mostly in the shadier areas and in my filter on the rubble under the chemipure elite bag. I say they are between 1/4 and 1/3 inch in length and mostly whitish with a light green tint. I haven't even bothered counting the ones in my filter, the ones on the rubble in there under the chemipure elite is so densly packed I would say I have atleast 30 more in there. I was really shocked seeing this quantity.

Can I assume I have good water quality then?

And at what size or quantity should I look to start thinning them out, possibly scraping and bring to LFS for them to add to the LR tank to help some one else out down the road.

They are harmless. How big are they, and where are they located (on/under the rocks, filter, etc.)? 40 1/4" sponges is not a big deal.

I know its not a big deal, but was more so trying to see if this quantity was a red flag on water quality.

ie. what nutrients feed them, is something lacking, is this precurser to a crash. Google wasn't oober helpful in answering me.

pics!

L.O.L ~ pics or it never happened huh?

They are there I assure you, and I aint dissecting my tank to post a pic of my hiker sponges.

Just trying to figure out what nutrients I had excess of that were keeping these things multiplying like jack rabbits

Archived