Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CUC without Hermits that have shell-theiving hobbies?

will25u

Last time I had my cube up and running, my CUC consisted of Trochus, Nassarius, and Turbo Snails along with Hermit Crabs (with lots of extra shells). The hermit crew set out on the mission to steal the shells from whatever snails they could ultimately killing my snails. :angry:

I'm researching my CUC that I'll get whenever the tank is ready and I'd like a well-rounded crew without Hermit crabs or at least crabs that don't go on a shell-stealing spree. Is that even possible? I'd also like to include a few Bumble Bee Snails in the CUC and have them be beneficial, but I'm reading that they're nocturnal and aren't reef safe. Any ideas?

Many people run without crabs. They are just something fun to watch as opposed to a needed CUC member. All of the pre-built "Clean Up Crews" on ReefCleaners do not have crabs if I remember correctly....

Many people run without crabs. They are just something fun to watch as opposed to a needed CUC member. All of the pre-built "Clean Up Crews" on ReefCleaners do not have crabs if I remember correctly....

Thank you. That helps more than just a website with no other information.

Oh, we've got plenty of LFS (at least five) around here so I don't need to order online unless they're significantly cheaper. Also, ordering livestock online and having it go through the shipping process makes me worry.

Anyone else have other information?

I think you would be ok with replacing the hermits with extra snails and maybe an emerald crab. Just do research on the snails/non-hermit critters you like to make sure they are safe for the things you plan to stock in your tank.

Good luck.

Thank you. That helps more than just a website with no other information.

Oh, we've got plenty of LFS (at least five) around here so I don't need to order online unless they're significantly cheaper. Also, ordering livestock online and having it go through the shipping process makes me worry.

Anyone else have other information?

I agree with paneubert, crabs are unnecessary - there are plenty of species of snails that outperform hermits without any of the downfalls. I'm not a fan of randomly stocking tanks with snails though. I think it's better to stock as you go, adding snails to help curb specific problems.

a little more info: http://ficklewaters.com/clean-up-crews/

The Ficklewaters link gave some good info. Thanks a lot. :) It makes me feel better about not including any hermits in my CUC. Imo, they cause more harm than good.

Archived