SaltCritters.com

How high off surface for a 4 bulb / 36 inch TEK?

paneubert

How high off surface to ceiling mount a 4 Bulb TEK?

I searched and searched and searched. All I see is some people suggesting that if you are not doing SPS, hang your TEK light "high" off the surface to bring down the intensity a bit. What is considered "high"? Does anyone have a general height off the top of a 40 Breeder that works well for a 4 bulb, 36 inch TEK light? I am mainly looking to...

1. Have enough room to work in the tank and not burn myself or swing the light/rip it out of the ceiling by bumping it.

2. Not have 90% of the light spill out the back and front of the tank due to the fixture being super high. I would like to keep the light in the tank if possible ;)

How high off surface to ceiling mount a 4 Bulb TEK?

I searched and searched and searched. All I see is some people suggesting that if you are not doing SPS, hang your TEK light "high" off the surface to bring down the intensity a bit. What is considered "high"? Does anyone have a general height off the top of a 40 Breeder that works well for a 4 bulb, 36 inch TEK light? I am mainly looking to...

1. Have enough room to work in the tank and not burn myself or swing the light/rip it out of the ceiling by bumping it.

2. Not have 90% of the light spill out the back and front of the tank due to the fixture being super high. I would like to keep the light in the tank if possible ;)

I would say 4 to 6 inches.

I have a 4 bulb 24" TEK fixture over my 17.4 gallon tank. This fixture is really strong and finding the right height is something I've constantly been dealing with since I purchased the fixture several months ago. I started with my light 6" above my tank and it pissed everything off REALLY bad. After some research and help from some guys on the forum I ended up moving my fixture 24" above my tank and gradually brought it down. I'm down to about 16" now and my corals seem to be doing okay. I have SPS, LPS and softies, so it's hard to find the right height that makes everything happy.

does anyone know if a shorter lighting cycle will allow me to place the light closer to the water surface?

needs to be about 4-6 from the water, its t5ho's not led with optics. they dont penetrate super well. only about 18"-24" tops.

i have mine 12 inches above my 30breeder. sps lps and zoas are all doing great. just changed the bulbd to 3bplus and 1 purple plus. love the color. looks like my radium does. better yet the tunze powere heads cause the surface to ripple so it looks like a shimmer. pretty sweet

Okie dokie. So it sounds like anywhere from 4-16 inches ;) Hahahaha......I guess I will just mount it at a height that looks nice and allows me to stick my arm in the tank.

Archived