Cultivated Reef

Cycling w/o light

24nanoguy

My light is going to stay on my other tank till the cycle is done, will it affect my cycle? I'll have dead/dried live rock, live sand, but no light till its ready.

Any ill affects w/o light?

My light is going to stay on my other tank till the cycle is done, will it affect my cycle? I'll have dead/dried live rock, live sand, but no light till its ready.

Any ill affects w/o light?

Possibly some coralline bleaching (if there is no source of light at all) but since your live rock is not live, I think you should be good.

Possibly some coralline bleaching (if there is no source of light at all) but since your live rock is not live, I think you should be good.

+1. You'll probably be better off without having to battle as much algae as well.

I've been reefing for quite some time now. I never cycle with a light on. If it's an all in one type tank, I do recommend keeping the feeding lid perched open a bit to allow oxygen exchange freely. Once the cycle is complete, do two water changes in a week and run that light. Hardly ever have algae problems.

I've been reefing for quite some time now. I never cycle with a light on. If it's an all in one type tank, I do recommend keeping the feeding lid perched open a bit to allow oxygen exchange freely. Once the cycle is complete, do two water changes in a week and run that light. Hardly ever have algae problems.

It's just a plain old 30G with a hang on filter, and skimmer. I'm going to finish setting it up tonight and get it cycling. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to have a two month cycle.. lol

Archived