Mods to quiet AIO overflow?

jonny5er

my reason for asking is because i just want to know if anyone has cut slits in the first chamber(water spill over)to prevent the spill over effect.will cutting slits in the first chamber equalize the water level in the back compartments?i had the 24g nano cube and thats how there configuration was,3 dividers with slits in each one,water lever in rear compartment always stayed level.i was just curious if anyone has done that or is aware of that situation,any positive input is welcome,thx.

Flying_Hellfish

why do you want the chambers all the same level? OCD thing?

If you plan on using a media basket you don't want them the same level or you won't get flow through your filter floss.

If you plan on using a media basket you don't want them the same level or you won't get flow through your filter floss.

im not using a media basket,if i do,will that stop the annoying ####### sound?im assuming if i equal the water level in the rear that spill over will be stop but circulation will continue,as for filter media,i use large blocks of sponge and activated carbon layed on top of each other in the middle chamber,nothing fancy but it gets the job done,thats how i had my 24g nano cube with no issues.thx for ur swift response by the way.

Flying_Hellfish

I suppose it would stop the waterfall type sound you are probably hearing. Did you remove the false bottom in the 2nd chamber? If not then I can see how you are getting flow through the sponge.... but if you have it level across all 3 then it will flow right from C2 to C3 through the wall and not through the sponge and that would not help.

And I've never had a nanocube so I can't say for sure but don't they flow differently. Like from the sides into the middle?

the OCD thing was a joke. Everyone has OCD about something. :D

also i dont have ocd,the reason i want equal water level is because in addition to the loud dripping water sound,the water level my 3rd compartment where the pump sits is always low.

If you do this, then as water evaps, the display tank water level will drop, as will the level in chamber 1, which would make skimming a #####.

I hate that noise too. I have a media rack and puss up the filter floss so that the water does through it first. I also keep my water level higher to prevent the noise.

also i dont have ocd,the reason i want equal water level is because in addition to the loud dripping water sound,the water level my 3rd compartment where the pump sits is always low.

i didnt remove the false floor,not yet anyways,i was also thinking if i did cut slits in chamber one,i would have to do the same with 3,and since chamber one is so small,i would probably use that one for the sponge and activated carbon,it would fit as if it were in a media basket but without it of course.

If you do this, then as water evaps, the display tank water level will drop, as will the level in chamber 1, which would make skimming a #####.

I hate that noise too. I have a media rack and puss up the filter floss so that the water does through it first. I also keep my water level higher to prevent the noise.

do you have pics of that?

do you have pics of that?

if i cut 2-slits in chamber one,one right above false floor,and one near the top somewhere,and left the false floor in,where would that leave me?

There are any number of different Mods that people have made regarding water levels, chamber contents, pump configuration etc etc. I guess I would say you will never (aside from filling it 100% to the top) get all three chambers equal, nor would you desire this. Basically the pump should be drawing chamber 3 lower than the others which causes the net flow you need (you do not get noise from flow between chamber 2 and 3). It is possible to get chamber 1 and 2 pretty much full, which is probably the most common mod, i.e. a refugium but even this is not totally silent as the water does splash down a little bit, but its pretty quiet. Under this mod Flow will still occur pretty normally as the pump pulls from chamber 2 at the bottom and chamber 1 has both inlets so both chambers are well mixed. My major concern with this is that the water level be kept low enough to get surface skimming into chamber 1, i.e. don't fill above level of top inlet slits (in attempt to silence it). Check out the BioCube resource you will find many answers therein.

Sounds like you all ready have experience, so I would kinda go with what I know and what works and change your system to suit yourself. That is, if you liked how your last set up was running. Else I have found everyone here to be a good resource.

If the noise bugs you... do this... (ONLY WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE OUT).. fold a big bath towel in 1/2 and drape it over the top of the aquarium a bit over the back. Pretty much silent then, obviously, DO NOT do this with lights on or you will cook your lights and the tank.

OH, if your using bio-balls filling chamber 1 and 2 kinda makes them a bit less desirable as they are supposed to be in a wet aerobic environment with the water dripping through them (not floating in them).

Just thought of that.

if i cut 2-slits in chamber one,one right above false floor,and one near the top somewhere,and left the false floor in,where would that leave me?

i would rather have the display tank area evap then the rear,the heater and pump will be exposed and therfore cause damage if im not paying attention to the rear compartments.this is actually my 2nd 29 biocube,i dont really remeber how i solved this issue previously.

i would rather have the display tank area evap then the rear,the heater and pump will be exposed and therfore cause damage if im not paying attention to the rear compartments.this is actually my 2nd 29 biocube,i dont really remeber how i solved this issue previously.

sounds like good advice,im sorry i didnt elaborate further into what my system has going on,i elimianted my hood completely and have a sweet coral life metal halide with a 150watt double ended 20k bulb, clamp on arm(i gotta get cooling fans wensday actually)but i only have one damsel in the tank right now cycling,with a thick very fine grade aragonite sand bed,ill post pics once the cloudiness is gone.

sounds like good advice,im sorry i didnt elaborate further into what my system has going on,i elimianted my hood completely and have a sweet coral life metal halide with a 150watt double ended 20k bulb, clamp on arm(i gotta get cooling fans wensday actually)but i only have one damsel in the tank right now cycling,with a thick very fine grade aragonite sand bed,ill post pics once the cloudiness is gone.

yeah i dont use bioballs,i removed them immediately,forgot to mention that.

Flying_Hellfish

The thing is in the newer BCs there is already a hole in the wall between 2 and 3. If you fill 2 up too far then you overflow into 3 and bypass your filtration. Unless for some reason I am thinking about this completely wrong.

And yes, with the media basket and floss it does quiet the noise quiet a bit. Just keep the water level in C2 just below the floss. :) That's what I have on mine as well.

Is you aren't paying enough attention to the point of the pump and hearter being exposed due to evap, your salinity is going to go through the roof anyway.

The thing is in the newer BCs there is already a hole in the wall between 2 and 3. If you fill 2 up too far then you overflow into 3 and bypass your filtration. Unless for some reason I am thinking about this completely wrong.

i just bought mine about a week ago from petsmart,it is a newer one with the factory fish saver,and glass door in rear.also theres only one entrance for water between 2 and 3,ive attached this diagram,correct me if im wrong.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/biocube...cube_filter.jpg

Flying_Hellfish
i just bought mine about a week ago from petsmart,it is a newer one with the factory fish saver,and glass door in rear.also theres only one entrance for water between 2 and 3,ive attached this diagram,correct me if im wrong.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/biocube...cube_filter.jpg

The new one with the fish saver is the BC I have as well. That's the older diagram. there is a pic somewhere on here. It is about 3/4 of the way up the back wall and is only about 1/2" by 1" rectangular cut out.

The new one with the fish saver is the BC I have as well. That's the older diagram. there is a pic somewhere on here. It is about 3/4 of the way up the back wall and is only about 1/2" by 1" rectangular cut out.

nice,i wasnt sure that diagram was the right one.

Do you still have all the BioBalls and whatnot?

I removed all that stuff from my tank. No stock filter/sponge, no bioballs.

i have them in a bag never used,i also have the cartridge unopened which i do not plan on using anyway.

I meant do you have them in the tank. Sounds like not. Why not just raise your water level in the back, so there isn't the running water sound?

Flying_Hellfish
nice,i wasnt sure that diagram was the right one.

Technically the flow is still the same as long as you keep the water in C2 and C3 below that cutout in the wall between the two. I wish I could find that thread that had the picture in it.

I meant do you have them in the tank. Sounds like not. Why not just raise your water level in the back, so there isn't the running water sound?

so my display tank water level is good and above my trim line,if i add more water to the back area will that resolve some of the issue of noise?

so my display tank water level is good and above my trim line,if i add more water to the back area will that resolve some of the issue of noise?

wow,i didnt realize how much more water was needed to fill the middle compartment,oh yeah,i can see that hole you were reffering to,thx alot buddy for your help.

I think it will

I think it will

it makes a huge difference,i made some adjustments and i feel like a dusher for even suggesting slicing up my brand new cube,i am gonna open up where the water spills out more though,thx for everyones help.

I think it will

i also added a piece of plastic where the little cut out hole is on compartment 3 to cover it up.everything is good now,no loud water sound!thank god,that was driving me absolutly insane.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Mods to quiet AIO overflow?

Archived