inTank Media Baskets

Ready to throw in the towel. Algae winning

Derekcaudill

I'm not looking for a quick fix just assistance. I will keep you posted in weeks to come and let you know my results. Thanks for the advice.

would you like pictures how my tank has progressed since declaring war against it in October? its not easy in the least bit, extremely frustrating knowing your putting your best effort into its removal. I have been doing weekly- and even more frequent then that water changes with DI water from Wal-Mart (0 phosphates/nitrates after mixing). I am hand removing, putting a sponge in the filter cleaning it out after every scrubbing.. I have reduced feeding etc. Now my GHA.. is only on about 1/3 of my rocks (mostly near my nem because i wont piss him off. I just waiting slowly watching it all turn to brown and die off. The chaeto bag i put in hanging off the top is helping drastically.

would you like pictures how my tank has progressed since declaring war against it in October? its not easy in the least bit, extremely frustrating knowing your putting your best effort into its removal. I have been doing weekly- and even more frequent then that water changes with DI water from Wal-Mart (0 phosphates/nitrates after mixing). I am hand removing, putting a sponge in the filter cleaning it out after every scrubbing.. I have reduced feeding etc. Now my GHA.. is only on about 1/3 of my rocks (mostly near my nem because i wont piss him off. I just waiting slowly watching it all turn to brown and die off. The chaeto bag i put in hanging off the top is helping drastically.

Yeah I am thinking of putting some chaeto in the tank. I know at this point I already should have but I do kinda like the look of it in the tank area if its kept down to a small amount.

Ok, so tonight I am cutting back on my CUC, getting a lawnmower blenny, and well...more water changes. I am going to do 2 a week for a while and see what happens.

I think a lawn mower blenny is probably not the best idea. I don't think they do well long term in most cases. I put a Royal Urchin in my tank recently and within a week it wiped out every bit of algae in the tank. Might want to give one of those a try.

reeferbarra20

Get yourself 2 Nextreef Shortys, fill one with Phosbgone and the other with good Activated Carbon, slap on two 300gph pumps, and you're set.

When I first set up my BC29 I had a monster GHA outbreak... Two LARGE mexican turbo snails and a week later, no algae was left and I had to find the snails a new home.

I like how he still hasn't answered where his water comes from. Which is 95% likely to be the problem. But, at the same time, is willing to spend a few hundo on new equipment and macro :P

• 2 weeks later...
Look at some videos on youtube called uv sterilzer

Well, its been a month and what a month it has been. All of my GHA is gone! I added 75ml of Vertex Bio Pellets in my reactor for 3 weeks. I added 75ml more ( total 150ml) after the 3 weeks and all GHA gone. I haven't done a water change in 3 weeks which I think also might have helped maintain good levels ( I continued daily Dosing). My corals never looked better. PO4 is at 0 ( Hanna Meter) and kept there. Bio Pellets are not the magic bullet but they sure worked for me.

How big is the problem? Your tank shot from early January looks fine, don't see any algae at all.

What happened since then?

That's not my tank/My tank was much worst then the pics posted on here pages back.

Nobody suggested urchins? I hear they decimate algae.

fuzzy chiton off johny at reefcleaners.org

Trust me that guy dominated all the algae on the glass... They are supposed to get rocks.. but he just did the glass on me (he probably cant get to the rocks)

get a quick crew off johny and start taking care of your tank with distilled water at the very least... i did 20% weekly, manual algae removal... Changed the bulbs in my T5 to brand new ATI Blue +

my tank went from

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/...447/mrgobes.jpg

11-15-2010

to

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af271/...47/IMG_0427.jpg

2-15-2011

And i recently got some chaeto im floating in a bag.. I dont have a fuge, and wont have one until after i move due to limited room size. Floating it is working VERY well

It has been a slow process nothing OVERNIGHT

EDIT: And added Chemipure elite

If you had phosphates before it takes awhile for them to be completely pulled from the LR. Like the other guys said just be patient and run the GFO. Manual removal and as long as your corals look great it's fine. I've had a patch stick around for awhile after I cut back on my daily water changes and it's between to sps colonies, so I can't remove it manually. As long as it's maintained and I keep up with maintainence it'll usually die back.

The hardest part is when reefers let their tank completely go and try to get their phosphates down when it's already leached into their rocks and the rocks are covered in GHA. Doesn't sound like you have a major problem, but some chaeto won't hurt to help compete with the GHA.

Your rocks absorbed too much phosphate and you are going to have to double up on the phosphate media usage. While the algae is dieing, it too is releasing phosphates so its going to take a while and you have to keep the intakes, floss, and power heads clear of dead algae. Back off on the feeding to once a day as well.

Archived