ReefCleaners.org

Help me choose a nano skimmer!

vu.dao

Stuck between these two skimmers! HELP!!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which nano skimmer should I get?

• Tunze 9002
    • AquaC Urchin

In the market for a nano skimmer. I hear good things and bad things about each of these two skimmers.

Tunze 9002

Pros: Small footprint,. Once broken in, it works like a champ

Cons: Getting the water level perfect sucks. Air intake is also picky. Needs to be modded

AquaC Urchin

Pros: Small footprint. Not picky about water level. Once broken in, works like a champ

Cons: Tall. Not sure how picky it is about breaking in.

Also, negative and positive opinions would be nice! LET THE POLL BEGIN!!!!

thadscottmoore

I run the tunze- as far as the water level thing- I have an ATO on my system, so- no such downside for me. system stays at a constant level.... and I did the mod. works like a charm

I ran the Remora Pro and the Tunze 9002 on my 34g. Both worked great. The Tunze had a smaller footprint and seemed to be easier to adjust and dial in.

Great question and answers

What about noise? Is one more quiet than the other?

I have the Tunze 9002 and it is very quiet. I think its an excellent skimmer for a small tank and I don't think its as water level sensitive as most say.IME with it, it chugs along all day with NP and I don't use an ATO. You should be replacing evaporated water every day anyway so the small change I experience in 24h doesn't seem to affect the skimmer much that I can notice.

I have the Tunze 9002 and it is very quiet. I think its an excellent skimmer for a small tank and I don't think its as water level sensitive as most say.IME with it, it chugs along all day with NP and I don't use an ATO. You should be replacing evaporated water every day anyway so the small change I experience in 24h doesn't seem to affect the skimmer much that I can notice.

Thanks for sharing this. So now I know it shouldn't really go nuts after a day. So far Tunze is 7-0

Actually,IME, the Tunze is a slave to water level. I'd choose a quality HOB like the Warner marine h1. Those have their own pump supplying the water, so all you have to worry about is messing with the venturi.

Archived