Coral Vue Hydros

overflow box help

blister

I am in the process of getting a 55gal ready for a reef tank. I ordered a 35 gallon refugium (url) and I am looking at this protein skimmer (url). Now since I believe this protein skimmer needs to be plumbed in and having it sit in the refugium. What overflow box is recommended and return pump? Overflow boxes seem complicated to me since I have 0 experience with them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

I assume you are talking about one of these? Overflow box

Do yourself a favor and do it right, drill your tank. Assuming it is not tempered glass and can be drilled.

Check out glass-holes.com.

Look into the glass-holes 700 overflow kit and either a Mag 7 or Mag 9.5 return pump.

I'm building a 65G and I'm using a G-H 700 kit with a mag 9.5 setup on a SCWD with two 3/4" returns to alternate the flow.

You can build a refugium/sump for way cheaper. Local glass store will cut glass cheap. 1/4" glass and aquarium safe silicon. Get a skimmer that you dont have to plumb.

I assume you are talking about one of these? Overflow box

Do yourself a favor and do it right, drill your tank. Assuming it is not tempered glass and can be drilled.

Check out glass-holes.com.

That seems very scary to me. Are there other options?

I remember seeing something on the bottom glass piece that it was tempered. Does that mean just the bottom piece is or the whole thing?

Look into the glass-holes 700 overflow kit and either a Mag 7 or Mag 9.5 return pump.

I'm building a 65G and I'm using a G-H 700 kit with a mag 9.5 setup on a SCWD with two 3/4" returns to alternate the flow.

What is the brand name for the Mag pumps?

You can build a refugium/sump for way cheaper. Local glass store will cut glass cheap. 1/4" glass and aquarium safe silicon. Get a skimmer that you dont have to plumb.

I'd rather buy something made for me. Are there pros/cons to a skimmer that needs to be plumbed?

OK, so I believe just by one sticker saying that it's tempered I do believe all is tempered. What other options do I have so I do not have to drill any holes?

My buddy just got an older 75G and the bottom had a tempered sticker on it. The sides were not tempered. This is common, contact the manufacturer and ask. If you absolutely don't want to drill they make overflows that hang on the back I believe maybe Eheim and CPR make em. Though drilling is a much safer method of plumbing a sump.

I remember seeing something on the bottom glass piece that it was tempered. Does that mean just the bottom piece is or the whole thing?

You can buy a overflow box like this. CPR overflow. But drilling the tank is a much more reliable method for over flow. You should be able to take the tank to a glass shop and they should be able to tell you if they can drill it or not if you are not wanting to do this your self.

What is the brand name for the Mag pumps?

Danner Mag Drive pumps.

I'd rather buy something made for me. Are there pros/cons to a skimmer that needs to be plumbed?

I prefer in sump skimmers. 1: I think they are more efficient 2: If something happened the water stays in the sump and doesn't end up on the floor. For example you forget to empty the waste cup or if you add something to the tank that makes the skimmer over skim and then overfill the waste cup. The Bubble Magus has a very good reputation and I am sure would d o you a fine job.

I bought that exact skimmer, have read nothing but great reviews. Haven't used it yet though. Nuocean.com had them for $175 shipped. Don't know if they are sold out or not though.

Archived