Coral Vue Hydros

What is this red macro algae

gerbilbox

A local store owner gave this for free when I bought some trochus snails last month. He didn't know what it was but said that it wasn't fast growing, so I didn't object. It looks nice and it has grown a little, but what is it? Thanks!

IMGP1697.jpg

Um, it would be helpful if you can elaborate what you meant by "oh no."

Some species of dictyota are a fast growing and difficult to remove nuisance algae. You can see here for more details

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186736

or ask johnmaloney from reefcleaners (his knowledge of algae is encyclopedic). Your algae appears to have the blue iridescence and forked branches of dictyota. I'm looking at the Red Titan macro algae in my tank and it doesn't look at all like yours, but again there are multiple species that are lumped under that name.

Some species of dictyota are a fast growing and difficult to remove nuisance algae. You can see here for more details

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186736

or ask johnmaloney from reefcleaners (his knowledge of algae is encyclopedic). Your algae appears to have the blue iridescence and forked branches of dictyota. I'm looking at the Red Titan macro algae in my tank and it doesn't look at all like yours, but again there are multiple species that are lumped under that name.

Based on the descriptions I don't think this is Dictyota. There's no blue or any kind of iridescence. Dictyota is also a brown algae, while mine is very much a red algae. I'll check with johnmaloney. Thanks!

pics looks like a mastophora species, but it would have to be brittle calcified, doesn't seem like it. Maybe a Leptofauchia spp?? I am not up to my Pacific algae species, sorry.

pics looks like a mastophora species, but it would have to be brittle calcified, doesn't seem like it. Maybe a Leptofauchia spp?? I am not up to my Pacific algae species, sorry.

Thanks for the effort. Are we sure that's it's even from the Pacific?

I have the same algae and it hasnt grown at all in the 4 months that Ive had it. It came on a rock with gsp that I got off someone. I have yet to find out what it is , it isn't a nuisance though

I'm in the bay area, too. If you grow it out, I might like a little clump -- assuming it doesn't start forming a death grip with your rocks. ;) I have way more red titan than I need right now, if you'd like a little variety in your red algae.

Archived