Anyone had a sump with drip plate?

jgoldwood

Hello. Long story short, the guy that built my stand did not do it to specs so I am stuck with a 29G that I was going to use as a sump for my 40 breeder. I ordered a sump from Advanced Acrylics today, as I want to get this setup going and he already had some made up and ready to ship out. The exact item I bought can be seen HERE. I am not sure what to expect with the live rock/rubble area with a drip plate. Has anyone used something such as this? Thanks!

Jist dont worry about the lve rock area, I am sure that the drip plate can be removed. Drip plate just really allow the water to get air into it for the bacteria on the rock or typically the bioballs.

Just use that area for something else. Live rock or any bio filter media in a sump is a nitrate trap if not cared for,

Other than that its a nice sump.

Jist dont worry about the lve rock area, I am sure that the drip plate can be removed. Drip plate just really allow the water to get air into it for the bacteria on the rock or typically the bioballs.

Just use that area for something else. Live rock or any bio filter media in a sump is a nitrate trap if not cared for,

Remove the drip plate, install a 1"bulkhead into the intake and install a 1" peice of 1" PVC pipe with some holes in it down to water level minate water cascade sound.

Remove the drip plate, install a 1"bulkhead into the intake and install a 1" peice of 1" PVC pipe with some holes in it down to water level minate water cascade sound.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I had originally wanted a three chamber sump with a small fuge, but this will have to do. That chamber is probably too small for anything beneficial?

Not sure how much you would want to be modifying this sump but I don't see why you couldn't turn the LR section into your fuge. That black acrylic would be the only piece you HAVE to remove. Just something to think about.

Not sure how much you would want to be modifying this sump but I don't see why you couldn't turn the LR section into your fuge. That black acrylic would be the only piece you HAVE to remove. Just something to think about.

Would that be too much flow into a "fuge" though? That would have to be the intake chamber for the sump.

Well... "back in da day" when everyone used a wet/dry complete with bioballs they all had drip plates. They mainly served to disperse the water over a larger area so that all the bioballs would recieve water instead of just a hose shooting on one section. I , I mean, uh most people used to lay filter floss across them to catch small particulate matter to keep it from building up in your balls.. :)

Steve

i have 2 drip plates in my sump filter floss in both! its changed weekly and that stuff get nasty food particles etc.

Any pictures of your sump setup?

DSC_0106.jpg

i traded work with the owner of my LFS. I brought him a ten gallon and he did this. both drawers slide out for easy work. the other piece by the baffles is just for microbubbles but i took it out becuase he wasnt sure if id get the which i didnt. and the skimmer now has a down pipe so theres no more ###### splashing going on.

Archived