Pod Your Reef

Emerald crab molts?

RussianBoy

So i found a body of my emerald crab, now I don't know if he is dead or it is a molt. When I put a flashlight under it, I don't see anything like guts, but I don't understand how he could get out of it in one piece, it makes no sense, also I have not seen him for a few days since I found it. I still have it but I don't want to crush it because it's like a perfect little crab and even stands on it's own..kinda cool...can anyone tell me more about it?

They tear a hole in the back to crawl out of... Look for the tear. It sounds like a molt to me.

Not the same species, but this will show you what they do -

I have an emerald crab that came into my tank as a hitchhiker. The one time that I know of that he molted, his discarded shell was translucent. It was rather interesting to see because when I first spotted the shell it was still almost completely intact.

the shell feels very light and airy, not transparent however, just looks like a crab. I don't think he is in it, but I have not seen him in a few days, and am worried he was the whole reason I got into salt water originally. I was going to do fiddler crabs and somehow ended up in SW lol reefing is like meth....

qwiksilver711
the shell feels very light and airy, not transparent however, just looks like a crab. I don't think he is in it, but I have not seen him in a few days, and am worried he was the whole reason I got into salt water originally. I was going to do fiddler crabs and somehow ended up in SW lol reefing is like meth....

another crime scene?

this is batty the emerald crab... well I hope not actually him cause I have not seen him in a few days, hopefully hiding and hardening somewhere.

post-54745-1295840012_thumb.jpg

post-54745-1295840020_thumb.jpg

qwiksilver711
this is batty the emerald crab... well I hope not actually him cause I have not seen him in a few days, hopefully hiding and hardening somewhere.

what does the back end look like, is there a hole in it? maybe the ghost of the firefish scared him to death

well he is all hard now, I didn't look to see if there was a hole when it was fresh, my wife did notice he has a little belly flap that would fold down....

qwiksilver711
well he is all hard now, I didn't look to see if there was a hole when it was fresh, my wife did notice he has a little belly flap that would fold down....

hmmm, i'd keep that thing around, good for practical jokes

I had a bubblealgae problem and bought two, and i thought the smaller one shed his shell, but I haven't seen him since I threw away the "shell"

:-( RIP crabby...

Nah, I lost my emerald crab a few days ago and it was a bummer, I expected him to live for a few years. Then I did some research and they don't have a long life span.

I would say that is your crab and not a molt...sorry

the molt should be very flexible and light (from my experience) and not able to stand up like that.

If the telson aka belly flap was loose then more than likely it was a molt, the molts will harden out of water. Your crab probably won't be out for a couple days, if you really are curious deconstruct and find em, I bet you he is in there. I've worked with green crabs and Hemigrapsus on the east coast and that is how both of them molt, they come out the bottom of their shell. and then find a quiet place to harder their new skeleton.

crushed the exo, seems to be empty although I don't really know the difference, yes the belly flap was loose, but still have not seen him :(

crushed the exo, seems to be empty although I don't really know the difference, yes the belly flap was loose, but still have not seen him :(

Autopsy by hammer.

Autopsy by hammer.

we did open the shell, and it sure seemed empty to me, it dried for a day out of the tank, but there was nothing gooey or gross inside at all just space, but I am no crab inside expert, also the belly flap was loose when we picked it out of the tank.

Archived