Coral Vue Hydros

Mixing first water -help!

Cliff Z

Folks--new to forum and new to SW. Have been a planted co2 injected 55gal for years.

Just bought a Oceanic 14G biocube. Argonite-Instant ocean sea salt etc...Hope you dont mind but I have a few questions.

Ive been reading the forums and I see there may be old/new models of the Oceanic 14g Biocube? How do I know if I purchased the old or the newer version?

What water should I use to mix the sea salt? Some folks mention Walmart Distilled water, (1 gal jugs) is fine

Some folks mention the water in 5 gal blue plastic drinking water jugs is fine.

Any other water suggestions are appreciated--hope to mix and set up tank this week.

I also see Stevie T's media baskets are nice. I'm watch dollars right now but hope to get one "eventually" Do you recommend one or putting floss -chem pure and Chaeto in bay 2 is fine----for now?

Thanks!!

new one has led moon lights and the second chamber has the paint peeld off already so you can add a fuge if you want!!

new one has led moon lights and the second chamber has the paint peeld off already so you can add a fuge if you want!!

The old one also had moonlights. As he mentioned, the new one has a clear window on the back of the tank, while the old one's back was solid black. The new one also has a higher divider between the display and back chambers to prevent fish from jumping back there.

Use ro/di water. The walmart brand should say reverse osmosis on the back. In the long run it's best to invest in a ro/di unit or find a fish store that can give you decent pricing. Walmart bottles get expensive after a while.

If you haven't started to cycle your tank, it's safe to have nothing except for filter floss to remove any particles. After cycling, you can run chemi pure elite, chaeto and Purigen. Go to media baskets webpage for further assistance.

I recommend using rowa phos for phosphate removal. Some recommend running rowa phos during cycle, but that option is up to you.

Archived