one of my pom pom crabs lost a pom pom

kgoldy

I noticed yesterday that one of my three pom-pom crabs was missing an anemone after his latest shedding... Today, I found the little "pom-pom" in a rock near his old skin. Anyone got experience with this happening? I'm curious if he'll pick it back up... try to clone his remaining anemone... or fight one of the other two crabs for their pom-poms.

IMG_20110123_163717-1.jpg

Im almost certain my pom poms frag their nems if they lose one. I have nothing to back this up except what I see. One day the crab will have one nem and the next it will have two small ones.

I have a single pom-pom crab that came with only one anemone and it was nearly dead. It has since grown to two healthy nems. Just keep your crabs fed and water clean.

He may have put the other one down because they were getting too big and he'll clone the one he has left, or he may find it again and pick it back up.

Hey Kris!

Last molt my pom pom set both her nems down for the day and actually wandered around without them for a few hours. She later went back to her little cave and that night I saw her with both of them again. I have read a couple of post here and there that say they will also frag the nems if they lose one. I also read few were they have fragged a zoa or a mushroom and used that as a substitute :o

This a thread I found here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67217

Anyone know what species the anemones are? I'm curious how big they can get once they're dropped.
I don't know what species, however, they don't get big. I don't know how well they do without a crab. They are non-photosythetic and are fed by the crabs probing the sand and rocks with them.
gulfsurfer101

They don't need them to survive, both of mine have no poms and scavange for food without them. It would be pretty cool to see them using zoas or shrooms though.

IF he don't pick it back up he will frag the one he has. worst case since you have 3 crabs is that he will get one or a frag of one from anouther crab if he happened to loose both of his. They do share.

gulfsurfer101

Man I wish I knew where I can find poms for these guys. Mine came into the lfs without them and were practically given to me since they were not shure if they would even survive without them.

If you can figure out how to get that pea sized nem out from under the rock without disturbing everything in my tank... And pay shipping, it's yours. Haha.

Goldy should send you the homeless one, IMO.

OR! Take the abandoned nem, start a miniature frag tank and sell cloned PP crab nems for those who need them. Win? I think so...

I've been thinking about downsizing the BC29HQI in my room once the 75 is set up... Maybe I'll set up my BC14 and make it a species tank for the mini-nems. Haha.

If you can figure out how to get that pea sized nem out from under the rock without disturbing everything in my tank... And pay shipping, it's yours. Haha.
Small turkey baster, or some sort of pipette. Problem solved.

OR! Take the abandoned nem, start a miniature frag tank and sell cloned PP crab nems for those who need them. Win? I think so...
Talk to Goldy, I gave him the way. Now he just needs the will.
They are cool little crabs. I have seen one using a mushroom as well. Thinking about getting a couple hundred of them for the 90.

Where can I find pom poms?!

For less than $10 each. :P

Archived