Innovative Marine Aquariums

stock tips for a 10g reef

Stephaphonic

hi i'm starting a 10gal reef,

so far i've got 3 hermits and 2 turbo snails, 7kg live rock and half inh of live sand. just wondered how many hermits and snails are recommended and how many fish i can have. i'm intending on adding corals soon.

i'd like to keep:

5 sexy shrimp

1 cleaner shrimp

1 yellow tailed damsel

1 bangai cardinal, or 1 common clownfish

1 prawn or neon goby.

is a starfish possible, and if so what type?

i really don't want to end up over stocking and have read that stock goes 1 inch per gallon, but also heard it goes by the surface area.

thanks

I might not want to get the damsel, they are aggressive. As with starfish I think your tank is too small for one, it would disturb your corals and stuff. You can try to get those micro bristle stars which usually come as a hitch hiker. There like 1/4 of an inch.

Also sounds like too many shrimp. Maybe just a cleaner shrimp. Not sure if cleaners and sexys mix.. BTW if you plan to keep corals, your shrimps will probably step on them and irritate them.

ok... might skip the damsel and the sexies and go for clown, goby and cleaner... have a bit of time to think about it yet as its not ready for fish just yet, as i want to do the corals first before adding fish or would you suggest a fish first then coral?

thanks

Archived