Coral Vue Hydros

Which 70 watt MH bulb?

kingnitro1

Hello,

I have been away from the boards for a while. What bulb are people running for a 70 watt metal halide fixture these days?

Thanks.

Deadly-Teddly

14K is very nice. the shimmer looks just like sun rays....color is decent....especially if you have some actinic supplimenting. a 20K 70 watt is very week and seems weird looking IMO. the 14K is pretty bright. you would not be disappointed with a 14K though.

CoolNameGoesHere
20k Ushio is a awesome blue I like it better than the 14k phoenix 150 watt

+1. Ushio 20k is very nice. Corals at all depths (nc24) look reallygood.

Deadly-Teddly

yall are talking bout a 150 watt (except epicfish). something about a 70 watt 20K is very weird (ushio and a cheapo ebay brand)....it is not enough light output at that color temp. it DEFINITELY wasnt enough for a 12 gallon nano cube...untill i got a 14k. im TELLIN ya...go with a 14k if you're restricted to a 70 watt. my 14k 70 watt is even plenty for my 20L.

CoolNameGoesHere

i *was* talking about a 70w ushio 20k :) that bulb is very similar to a 150w phoenix 14k in color (imo, at least- and i have run both [in different fixtures, obv]). for a softies tank, the 70w ushio 20k is doing just fine on the nc24. the few montis are near the top and have good color as well.

slightly off topic- i do NOT recommend the 150w ushio 14k. it was very yellow.

i *was* talking about a 70w ushio 20k :) that bulb is very similar to a 150w phoenix 14k in color (imo, at least- and i have run both [in different fixtures, obv]). for a softies tank, the 70w ushio 20k is doing just fine on the nc24. the few montis are near the top and have good color as well.

slightly off topic- i do NOT recommend the 150w ushio 14k. it was very yellow.

I just got a 70W Ushio in 14k. I love it.

Deadly-Teddly
I just got a 70W Ushio in 14k. I love it.

EXACTLY. looks just like a miniature sun over top you're tank right? ive got 3 cree xr-e's running at 300mA to counteract any of the SLIGHT yellow color the 70 watt 14k might have. actinic pc's, or t5s, t8s w/e would make it look amazing and have explosive coral growth.(once again the thread was about a 70 watt....the 70 and 150 watt is very different IMO with any brand)

Archived