Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

hollywood stunner chalice

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

a new LFS, that I visited for the first time today has a hollywod stunner chalice (real deal) colony -- like 6x6inches for 150. is that a steal or a deal or just average?

CoralWhisperer

Id say the value of a "deal" depends on what your own opinion of a deal is and what youd be willing to pay to get what you want.

Could you find it cheaper or more expensive locally, certainly.

Could you find it cheaper or more expensive online, certainly.

Do you want to spend the gas money and time driving all over to see if you can find it for 10$ less locally?

Do you want to pay the cost difference in shipping, and all the stress that could come with the shipping?

Thats up to you.

IMO, YOU are the only one who can answer your own question . . .

HTH

In the right environment these coral grow pretty fast, myself I am more inclined to by a smaller frag and enjoy watching it grow. Doing this will save you some cash and if you loss a small frag it is not as painful as losing a $150 show piece.

I'd like to know how fast these things grow and what makes them grow faster. I asked about one at the frag swap this weekend and was told they grow slowly. He said the 2" round frag was about the size of a finger nail a year ago. Although this was a small piece, that could be considered to have quadrupled in size in a year. if the now 2" piece quadruples in size in a year then this would be good growth. At that rate, I'd rather buy a 1" frag and grow it instead of a 6" show for 150. You can also consider this though... Could you frag it up and sell these frags to get your money back? I personally stick with frags because I like to feel the pride in growing my tank. It's nice to look back and remember when that prize of a piece was just a spec on a rock.

The guy I bought my HWS frag from, has his grow at an outrageous rate. In October he had a fingernail sized piece, it is now the 6x6in size you speak of.

He sold me a 3x3 piece for $5 :D I like my local aquarium club lol

The stunner chalice grows really fast.If you want a nice sized stunner chalice for a good price try reefgardener.net she has 2x2 and bigger frags for 23 or 24 dollars.

I bought a 2" frag from my LFS for $25.00. It has doubled in size in 3 months. In fact I just broke off of the main frag since the new part has attached to the rock I wanted it to grow on. I moved the original frag to another part of my tank I want it to grow. I also broke off a small 1/2" piece and put that in my 20 long.

Archived