Pod Your Reef

Jotun's JBJ 28 Nano

Jotun

The tank just hit it's 4 month mark and I just finished fighting a bad case of dinos. Now that they are gone, I have started stocking it. I have a Mandarin, 2 Emerald crabs, Watchman Goby, Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp, Crocea Clam, 2 Hammer corals, Deer horn coral, 1 Zoa, and various mushrooms. More live rock and corals to come. I've also already started a much larger tank project to transfer this livestock to.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/vsjnrc.jpg

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2nh1doh.jpg

http://oi54.tinypic.com/eb21e8.jpg

Leeloo, the tank watching terrier.

Cool dog! What kind of light do you have on the tank? I have the same tank with a T5 light and have had some great success with it.

What kind of maintenance schedule do you have going on the tank? If you are interested in a great maintenance schedule I have one lined out in my thread. Click my signature to get there.

Cool dog! What kind of light do you have on the tank? I have the same tank with a T5 light and have had some great success with it.

What kind of maintenance schedule do you have going on the tank? If you are interested in a great maintenance schedule I have one lined out in my thread. Click my signature to get there.

Thanks! I love her! She watches TV and my tank.

I have a 250 watt sunpod with led moonlights.

I do a 4 gallon water change weekly along with a ph test because the only supplement that I use is Seachem PH buffer to maintain a PH of 8.3. To eliminate the dinos, I raised the PH and cut my lighting schedule down. I am going for a hands off approach as far as additives. I use Tunze salt with the seachem PH buffer and that's it. I feed a little bit of mysis and phyto every other day.

I have the Tunze 9002 Skimmer w/StevieT cup, Tunze 6025, AquaEuro 1/13 HP Chiller and a 100w Hydor Theo heater holding my tank at 80 degrees.

Here's a pic of the Mandarin..

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2en2r9t.jpg

I know that they are not nano friendly but my rock is filled with pods. I've had the Mandarin for 2 months and he is looking great. Everytime I shine a flashlight at the tank at night I see pods scatter EVERYWHERE. I will continue monitoring the pod level because the last thing that I want to do is starve a living creature.

Wow 250W MH on a 28g tank!!!! That is a lot of light. Best of luck with the Mandarin. They are cool but not worth the work in my opinion.

Wow 250W MH on a 28g tank!!!! That is a lot of light. Best of luck with the Mandarin. They are cool but not worth the work in my opinion.

Yep! I didn't want to be limited on what I can stock by my light source.

The Mandarin has been pretty low maintenance so far. I have SO many pods that it has been thriving. I have seen no decline in pod population in these 2 months and he is happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics - Well done on the Mandrin.

I have one as well, fantastic fish, trives on frozen misis and brime. Mind you I got him from a buddy, 2 years old and well broken in on frozen food.

Great pics - Well done on the Mandrin.

I have one as well, fantastic fish, trives on frozen misis and brime. Mind you I got him from a buddy, 2 years old and well broken in on frozen food.

TY.

I just started mixing Nutramar into my feeding cocktail. The Mandarin seems to be picking at it.

I wanted a more active fish so I have added a Solar Wrasse. He has been a great addition thus far.

Is the Mandarin eating frozen for you. Always want one but never have found one that is a good enough eater and I know my tank can't sustain one without it eating frozen.

Is the Mandarin eating frozen for you. Always want one but never have found one that is a good enough eater and I know my tank can't sustain one without it eating frozen.

It's a pig for the Nutramar! I noticed my pod population dwindling so I decided to either take on the task of training him or finding him a new home.

It looked like he picked at it a little but not enough to satisfy me the first few times that I had added it to my feeding cocktail. I lowered a glass jar into the tank with just Nutramar in it and wrangled the Mandarin into it. I did this twice over a 2 day period. I then spot fed with Nutramar in a turkey baster at one of his favorite feeding areas. He is eating a ton of it now. I have noticed my pod population start to come back because he hasn't been eating so many of them.

I read about the glass jar trick somewhere on these forums and I must say, it works. The Nutramar is what ORA trains it's Mandarins with.

I found my mini carpet anemone munching on a pretty large snack today. It just happened to be my very active and fun to watch peppermint shrimp. Good night sweet prince, you will be missed.

post-48400-1298180312_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived