The Leviathan Project [120g reef]

NewZealandReefie

NewZealandReefie

Yesterday we lost:

Slinky (orchid dottyback)

Fraggle (marble dragonette)

Over night we lost:

Cake (orange ocellaris).

LSD (mandarin dragonette) we're quite sure will be dead when we get home, she was looking very sad when we left this morning.

The only fish we have hope for is Jaffa (black ocellaris), she's the only one we managed to catch and quarantine with medication.

Feeling pretty sad right now.

I'm fairly certain that we did everything we could, within reason, to try and help them all. If we could have caught Cake and Slinky they may have stood a chance in quarantine but the dragonettes were pretty much a lost cause as they would have starved to death in the quarantine tank.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NewZealandReefie

So do we, she seems fine now. She's been on her own in our quarantine tank for nearly two weeks now.

LSD did die during the day yesterday so now we have only one fish left. Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Picked up a new fish last weekend. A Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis). It's settling in well and looking very healthy. The anemone split on Thursday last week so we traded one of them for $60 store credit and used that to buy the tang.

Jaffa returned to the display tank from quarantine about two weeks ago. She hasn't shown any signs of sickness for around 6 weeks.

FTS from about a week ago. Sorry, I still have a #### camera.

FTS10711.jpg

Cheers for looking.

NZR

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

The fish.

Asgard - Tomini Tang.

Māui - Lyretail Anthias.

And of course Jaffa.

CIMG4360.jpg

CIMG4358.jpg

The other nem went to an LFS last weekend so the tank is now nem-less, no more upset corals!

NZR

NewZealandReefie

LOL. To be honest, I hadn't thought of her name like that.

She was named Jaffa after 'Jaffacakes' the chocolate-orange flavoured mini cakes. Her partner clown (who died) was named cake.

Asgard is definetly named after little grey aliens though... :D

I instantly went there since Māui read as mauL on my screen and she was another char......and I really like her fin pattern.

Hellboy is huge, I had a blue leg a few years back that about that size couldn't keep him in the reef got to curious so i had to get a NC6 for him since I got to attached to a crab to get rid of him, well he would crawl on me and eat out of my hand outside the water.

Nice tank keep up the good work and don't let the small things discourage you.

NewZealandReefie

New FTS

fts230711s.jpg

And a view from the right hand side

Sideview.jpg

Fish are all doing well. The chilli leather has nearly completely recovered from it's 4+ months sulk... won't be fragging that again, ever.

We've been in touch with the guy who manages the stock at one of our LFS and he's passed on the new order list. We'd really like to order a blue linka and a gold maxima clam.

As a point of interest for me, Blue linka's were added to the marine importers list by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) bio-security group just over a month ago. There's been a whole lot more fish, corals and a few inverts also added. It's interesting to see how the price has dropped on a few things now it's actually legal to bring them into the country :D Yay for new stuff.

NZR

New FTS

Me likey! Like a LOT! Just wait for it to grow in and it'll be amazing. And congrats on the lickia. I got a blue one as well - just give it a few moths and it'll start being out in the open much more..

NewZealandReefie

Thanks heaps! We're really proud of things so far.

We have plans to get a few more colourful sticks (acros etc) for the top of the far right rock, then we'll leave everything to mature.

When we've got some nice stuff, that brown staghorn is going to be SOLD! It's awful.

NewZealandReefie

Popped out to one of our LFS on the way home this morning. They had a new shipment in so we picked up a couple of things.

Firstly an orange eye long spined urchin, quite small and secondly an orange with green centre ricordia.

The urchin sidling off under the rocks just after being dropped in the tank.

urchin.jpg

Here's a shot of the chilli leather with its polyps fully extended...

chilli30-7.jpg

NewZealandReefie

Sooo...

No more ####ty photos! Bought a Canon EOS 600D today (and a new TV but that's a bit off topic). Here's a couple of shots straight after getting it home.

fts30-7-11.jpg

eyphilia.jpg

Right, off to play around with my awesome new toy.

kbai!

Haven't stopped by here before. You have a very clean and nice looking tank.

Keep up the good work!

NewZealandReefie

Thanks halfpint, really appreciate it.

Your bowfront is really something, I watched the video of it a while back. I really admire the natural look it has and the movement the kenyas give it is cool.

I had a kenya and a finger leather in my RMS130, they worked really well. I only moved the finger leather to the Leviathan though (sold the kenya).

phi delt reefer

lol with that TV in front of it - it looks like a pico tank!

any reason why you run the water level so low? Awesome colors btw.

NewZealandReefie
lol with that TV in front of it - it looks like a pico tank!

any reason why you run the water level so low? Awesome colors btw.

Lol, sure does make the tank look tiny.

The guy we bought the tank off was a bit silly and cut the teeth off the overflow box so we have to run the water a bit lower than we may otherwise. He only had the tank for a year and only ever ran it half full as his landlord was too paranoid to let him fill it up. The tank also has a wooden 'top' that sits fairly low around the edge so what that's on it doesn't look so low, it's in some of the older photos.

Thanks, the colours are looking pretty good even though the growth has slowed down a bit in the last week or so. The mag is low at the moment so I've (well, Ciedre really, I forgot to place the order yesterday) ordered in something to dose with. Up till now we've only been dosing a bit of calk to keep the calcium up and we knew eventually that would tip the balance and the mag etc would start to be depleted.

Good call on selling the Kenya. It grows too fast. :P

Yup, grows like a weed! It's quite pretty in its own way though.

NewZealandReefie

Newest addition. Brown bar goby.

It's name is... Spock!

IMG_9962.jpg

We saw this little guy at our LFS last weekend and had been discussing getting him for a few days, we did some research and decided if the price was right we'd pick it up today.

On Wednesday evening I drove Ciedre to a meeting with the heads of the three Wellington fish clubs, they're putting up a stall at the Pet Expo in November and Ciedre was invited along to run them through their options for banner printing, advertising etc (he runs a digital print shop). One of the senior members of the Kapi-Mana club is the guy who looks after the marine fish at our LFS so we had a chance afterwards to discuss the goby with him. He told us how it's been eating and we agreed on a price so this afternoon we went and picked him up and dropped off a frag for the LFS guys own tank. His tank is pretty awesome, aprox 850L and it's been running for somewhere around a decade!

Archived