SaltCritters.com

Smokey's Artisan Tank

pumarjr

**Reserved**

Here are my levels as of today, tank has been running for a little over 3 Weeks.

1/22/11

Nitrite= 0.1

Nitrate=25

Ammonia=.10

Salinity=1.025

Temp=78

PH=8.2

Cal=450

Looking better. I think my cycle is on the out?

1/24/11

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=12.5

Ammonia=0.10

Salinity=1.025

Temp=78

PH=8.2

Any thoughts as to if this cycle is almost over?

I just tested my levels with my API test kit. The results were as follows:

1/24/11 API Test Kit

Nitrites=0

Ammonia=0

Nitrates=0

Calcium=420

What do I believe? I know the API is better, but still? The other test kit I've been using was the marine labs test kit. Do I go with the results from API or Marine Labs? Your help is appreciated.

nitrate reading between those 2 kits is way different. i would find a LFS and have them test the water for you and see which kit's reading it agrees with.

API test kits are very inaccurate. i would take a sample to your LFS.

What is your experience with these test kits to have such consiece opinion?

If it was me, i would not trust my lfs either. Just get some salifert test kits. They are very reliable.

I just got done reading on how inaccurate salifert tests are as well. i think that everyone likes the test that shows them what they want to see, once they buy a test kit and it has a reading that they were hoping for or a reading that makes their tank look better, all the sudden, all other test kits are garbage and the test kit in mind is the only one to use., All this iNhO, all tho my opinion is heavily distorted, convoluted, and twisted.

I just got done reading on how inaccurate salifert tests are as well. i think that everyone likes the test that shows them what they want to see, once they buy a test kit and it has a reading that they were hoping for or a reading that makes their tank look better, all the sudden, all other test kits are garbage and the test kit in mind is the only one to use., All this iNhO, all tho my opinion is heavily distorted, convoluted, and twisted.

Well in that case you can pick one of three test results you posted and go by that. I have used test kits from two u were using and selifert, elos, lamotte, seachem and few other ones. Itnseemed to me lamotte, elos and salifert gave most consistant results. No, they didn't give me results that made my tank better. But were most consistant.

burtbollinger

the materials/equipment you are working with, and your rock work all appear top-notch. This has some amazing potential...congrats on the nice start, looking forward to watching it grow....sump on this thing?

btw, I;ve had no problems with my tanks using API specifically for years...in my opinion they are good and simple test kits...I do make sure they are not expired, tho.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update, I have not been using the site in a little while. i've made some progress as I felt it was time to start introducing corals.

FTS 3/6/11

FTS.png

My Blasto

blasto.png

Can't Remember Name

starburst.png

Macro Shot of my Open Brain

OpenBrain.png

Same Open Brain

OpenBrain1.png

disaster999

close up shots of your sump?

what skimmer are you running?

how constant is the water level for the skimmer, the way how you set it up, it seems like its not very stable if you overfill your sump

I like your setup. Congrats.

I have no experience, so all I can say, it's good luck, have a lot of patience and keep it mind that "everything popular is wrong"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey smokey, the tank looks great. I really like these 40g's from CAD.

Also, maybe getting a MOD to move this thing to the member's aquarium section would help you get more feedback? Just a thought. Cheers.

Archived