Jump to content

Is this reef safe


stshy

Recommended Posts

Alright so I posted a pic of my tank (which is at the bottom of my tank thread) and someone said :

 

nice tank looks like your going to have lots of flow, I was noticing that the silicon in your tank is blue indicating that there was once some of chemical used to treat fish, you might want to think of scraping out all the silicon and reseal your tank, because it could leak out into your tank effecting the biology of your system

 

Anyway, the question I have is have you ever heard this before. I got my tank a few years back and we were all beginers. One day, one of the fish had white spots so we put some Wardley Ick Away in the tank. Is it reef safe? What do you think?

 

Thanks for all your help!

Link to comment

Ickaway contains malachite green. Malachite green is used as a blue/green dye, it is also toxic. If the tank has been used for several years since the treatment there is likely very little left to leach out, just the residual stain. Malachite green DOES NOT contain copper. It is possible to remove the staining using a bleach solution. Fill the tank and let it soak for a a couple of days, rinse well and air dry. Bleach is highly soluble in water and easy to rinse away. It also evaporates off rapidly and no traces should be left.

 

That said, a 10g tank is not expensive and pretty much the least expensive part of your reef. If you have any doubts, replace it now whilst you still have the chance.

Link to comment
Ickaway contains malachite green. Malachite green is used as a blue/green dye, it is also toxic. If the tank has been used for several years since the treatment there is likely very little left to leach out, just the residual stain. Malachite green DOES NOT contain copper. It is possible to remove the staining using a bleach solution. Fill the tank and let it soak for a a couple of days, rinse well and air dry. Bleach is highly soluble in water and easy to rinse away. It also evaporates off rapidly and no traces should be left.

 

That said, a 10g tank is not expensive and pretty much the least expensive part of your reef. If you have any doubts, replace it now whilst you still have the chance.

 

Its hard for me to get a tank where I am. What would you do?

Link to comment

I think if it were me, I would just observe things closely. If invertebrates (snails, shrimp, etc...) keep dying for no apparent reason, then you probably need to just transfer everything into a new 10G tank.

Link to comment
I think if it were me, I would just observe things closely. If invertebrates (snails, shrimp, etc...) keep dying for no apparent reason, then you probably need to just transfer everything into a new 10G tank.

 

Alright thank paneubert :D

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...