Cultivated Reef

Birdsnest losing polyps :(

nlm2889

I have an ORA Green Birdsnest in my 6g Nanocube that is losing polyps.

It's been in the tank for ~2 months, and has been doing well. I wasn't sure if the flow around it was strong enough, so I moved my K-nano so the flow was closer to the piece. I tried to do it slowly, and in the end I felt I had some decent flow around it.

I started to get worried when one branch had barely any polyp extension. Normally it has great extension on all branches. I freaked and moved the flow farther away from it. Now there are holes, I'm assuming where the polyps are (or were). but only in a small area (~1 cm area). The tissue in that small area is lighter, and I don't see anything like a polyp, just the holes.

I've seen pictures of RTN and STN, and this doesn't look like either. It isn't at the tip, rather just an area near the tip.

Have I made the mistake of putting too much flow and torn the polyps from the skeleton?

Should I frag the branch off in an attempt to save the rest (I'd put the frag on a rack, to save it too)?

Surely some logical thinking on my part could've prevented this.

I'll get pictures up soon, although I'm not sure how well they'll turn out.

I have an ORA Green Birdsnest in my 6g Nanocube that is losing polyps.

It's been in the tank for ~2 months, and has been doing well. I wasn't sure if the flow around it was strong enough, so I moved my K-nano so the flow was closer to the piece. I tried to do it slowly, and in the end I felt I had some decent flow around it.

I started to get worried when one branch had barely any polyp extension. Normally it has great extension on all branches. I freaked and moved the flow farther away from it. Now there are holes, I'm assuming where the polyps are (or were). but only in a small area (~1 cm area). The tissue in that small area is lighter, and I don't see anything like a polyp, just the holes.

I've seen pictures of RTN and STN, and this doesn't look like either. It isn't at the tip, rather just an area near the tip.

Have I made the mistake of putting too much flow and torn the polyps from the skeleton?

Should I frag the branch off in an attempt to save the rest (I'd put the frag on a rack, to save it too)?

Surely some logical thinking on my part could've prevented this.

I'll get pictures up soon, although I'm not sure how well they'll turn out.

Honestly it seems like the frag is just irritated at being moved around having its conditions changed up. Personally, I would leave the frag alone for a day or two and see if that helps. Now if it starts RTN-ing... then it's probably time to frag off a bit to save the colony.

It hasn't been moved, just the K-nano. It's puttied to a rock, and it's been there for about a month.

I'm just worried because there's definitely a tissue problem.

Maybe too much direct flow. Mine bearely have any flow on it and it's thriving and growing like weeds.

A week ago it fell on a digitata and one of the tip bleached and it looked like there was no more polyp, but this week everything is green again and the polyps are all back.

It hasn't been moved, just the K-nano. It's puttied to a rock, and it's been there for about a month.

Gotchya. Well it still sounds to me like irritation from the change in flow. Why did you change the flow on it in the first place? Was it experiencing low PE, or sliming up? I would try putting the koralia back where it was originally and seeing if that helps.

It's been growing slightly over the past month and I noticed the growths weren't very thick. I wasn't sure if it was because of a lack of flow or lack of experience on my part. I tried to ensure that it wasn't direct flow, but it was hard to measure intensity of the flow because it seems so weak.

I think it is a direct flow problem, and I angled the nano up quite a bit towards the surface. There is definitely tissue missing, in fact there's a section of tissue that barely hanging on and it has a polyp that's still extended. The polyp is just 'flapping' in the flow.

I guess now I should be more worried about whether or not it will heal. There's healthy tissue all around the skeleton, and it doesn't look like it's coming off at all. Should I still attempt to frag it? Or will that just make the situation worse?

I took some pictures, but I couldn't get them focused well enough.

Here's a pic of the affected area:

IMG_4737.jpg

Here's a pic of the rest of the piece:

IMG_4738.jpg

You can see the rest of the tissue is fine, some parts even showing growth.

Will it heal?

It's definitely STN. It has started spreading down the branch and affecting nearby branches.

I've read mixed reviews, some say to clip the branches, others say to just leave it alone and try to fix the problem.

What should I do?

And, FWIW, I turned the Koralia off for now. Bad idea?

Quit changing things. The more you change, the worse it'll likely get.

First thing I would try, would be to superglue the affected areas. If the necrosis continues, then fragging would be in order.

Also, maybe it's the pics, or maybe it's just me. I don't see any missing or loose tissue. Is it the lighter areas on the top of the branches? TBH, it just looks like an overexposed picture.

Why superglue? Would this prevent the coral from repopulating the bleached area?

It's hard to see it because of the light level. I'll try to take a better pic.

Before you do anything drastic, leave it in a stable area and wait to see if it gets better. If it continues to spread take measures to prevent it. Moving SPS can really change their growth especially since some grow differently in different areas.

One of my Pocilloporas was growing in a clumplike fasion and then I moved it and now it is growing branchy. I know that Birdsnest is totally different but this is just an example of SPS doing that. It doesn't look that bad in your pictures honestly.

Ok, I kinda worded that wrong.

First, quit changing things. Then, if it continues to spread, take action.

As for why super glue. It seals off the affected areas. If it truly is STNing, the super glue should prevent it from spreading. It doesn't always work, that's why I said frag it if it continues.

Archived